Noise Cancelling Head Phones

nc211

Thinking about getting my wife a pair of Bose 15 noise cancelling head phones, to help counteract the 18 month old ruler of the house. Anybody have any experience with them?

I got an expensive pair of Denon that get used mostly for flying or on the elliptical at the gym. Tried wearing them to mow the lawn too. They do a great job on repeatative sounds like the mower or a jet aircraft but do very little to block random sounds such as people talking. It will muffle the sound and if you're playing music it will drown some of it out but it doesn't cancel it.

The sound quality is decent and they greatly reduce fatigue while flying.

On a recent over night flight to Argentina I used the foam ear inserts and the headsets as I was hoping to sleep. Man, it was really quiet, but the only thing I could hear was some where, far off in the plane, a baby was crying.

Bottom Line, she is going to hear your baby.

I put on a pair of Bose headphones the last time I was in an Apple store and it was pretty crazy, there were quite a few people in the store but when I put them on I could barely hear anything. However I would recommend looking at other, not as well known brands, I don't know if you've heard the old saying, "No highs, no lows, must have paid to much for Bose."

• 2 months later...

I have some BlackBox ones.

I originally had some Logitech noise canceling headphones, which sounded really good, but they broke when I fell asleep with them on on a plane.

I was looking at buying the Bose ones, and the store I was at also had the BlackBox M14 noise canceling headphones. I tried both of them and found the BlackBox ones to be far superior.

Notice I said the Logitech ones sounded "really good"? I used to think they sounded amazing, but after using the BlackBox ones for a couple of months, I'm blown away by them and would now only class my old Logitech ones as really good.

They produce a very smooth and balanced sound, one I would liken to the sound of the Mark Levinson system in our LS600hL. They seem to operate very well at any EQ setting I've thrown at them, and with noise canceling turned on, turning the bass right up will sound like a sub-woofer.

The only thing I don't like about them is that with the noise canceling turned on, people around you can hear the music easily, even when the volume isn't turned up much.

Here is their site: Blackbox Noise Cancelation Products