I Can Smell Antifreeze

hey yall this is my first post and i hope someone can helpme. my 94 gs300 always runs the same temp. until a few days ago. it was a cool night but the temp gauge started to read hot,then hotter and back to normal. just before it read in the red zone i put it in nuetral and revved the motor. This dropped the temp down immediatly but went hot when back in drive. I attempted to use the heater to bring temp down but only got cold air until i put temp to highest setting. Just before this occured the smell of antifreeze was quite strong. There was no fluid leaking while running or when off. Now the normal temp is reading just higher on gauge than usual. The cold air while heater was on worries me. Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.

Have you ever done coolant system flush?? If not do that right away, and replace you thermostat. Check the water pump and make sure its working. look at the upper and lower radiator hoses and see if they are cracked, blowted etc.... Good Luck!

I have not done the coolant system flush but it will now be at the top of my list. I will let u know how it turns out. Thanks!!