Need Help On Painting Entire Interior

so i'm thinking about upgrading to a gs350/430 (currently own a turbo IS300) figured i'd go for a used one since you can usually score a better deal on those. went to my local lexus dealer here in hawaii, turns out they have just one fully loaded '07 GS350 w/20k miles. only problem is...the interior is light gray, which is pretty much a huge turn off for me (would really prefer black). but i'm thinking if i can get a really good deal on it, maybe $34,000-$35,000 OTD i might was well do it. i'm just curious as far as what i can do about the interior (if any of you guys did a full swap or have painted before). i know the obvious answer would be to just do a full swap, but i've noticed that over the recent years, interior and upholstery shops are becoming more and more skillful with their work. just wondering what my options would be as well as get your input on what you think would be the best course of action. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance!

I've never heard of such a thing--painting the interior. I've heard of swapping colors via

1. replacing carpet

2. replacing seats

3. replacing door panels, headliner

4. replacing dash

After spending tons of money, messing with all the electrical (dash,doors, etc.), I'm sure you will be spending way more than what a new one costs...

Just keep looking.

Bottom line, don't do it. Live with the interior color or go for something else. Yes, you can replace the dash, seat covers, door panels, etc., but you have to ask yourself is it really worth it. Why potentally mess up a clean low milage car just for ashthetics.

so i'm thinking about upgrading to a gs350/430 (currently own a turbo IS300) figured i'd go for a used one since you can usually score a better deal on those. went to my local lexus dealer here in hawaii, turns out they have just one fully loaded '07 GS350 w/20k miles. only problem is...the interior is light gray, which is pretty much a huge turn off for me (would really prefer black). but i'm thinking if i can get a really good deal on it, maybe $34,000-$35,000 OTD i might was well do it. i'm just curious as far as what i can do about the interior (if any of you guys did a full swap or have painted before). i know the obvious answer would be to just do a full swap, but i've noticed that over the recent years, interior and upholstery shops are becoming more and more skillful with their work. just wondering what my options would be as well as get your input on what you think would be the best course of action. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance!

• 6 months later...

There are leather dyes out there, but none of them will last very long. Also, they'll fill in the stitching and leave gaps at corners etc... It's OK for little repairs, but not for complete overhauls (unless the car's 20 years old, in which it might work).

Look for used seats on ebay and such, and sell the present ones. That's what i would do.

I've never seen good (and lasting) results from interior or leather paintjobs. If you persist, the best option would be an upholstery shop for the seats (and give it a personal touch) and new carpet.

Is your dash two-tone or just grey? If so, the grey accents would be not that bad.

cockpitp.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Seriously, how much money are you planning to spend after the purchase of the car to make the interior the color you want.

I think redyeing the leather and swapping out carpet and panels, not to mention the labor costs involved make kind of make the hole process a waste of time. I would suggest learning to like the grey interior or keep searching.

steviej