'92 Sc 300 Starting Problem

racyeo

A few months ago my SC developed a problem starting. Basically, I turn the key and nothing happens. Lights all go on though. I turn it a few more times and it starts up and runs just fine. This seems to happen mostly on a cold engine although I've experienced it several times throughout the day. At first, the problem only required me turning the key 2 - 3 times. Now I have to turn it 3 - 4 times. I've tried making sure the steering wheel was not locked and the gear shift (automatic) was not locked and usually on the fourth time I push the shift lock override button once or twice and then it starts up which may or may not be related. Now, I've developed a new symptom where I turn the key, it sounds like it's going to kick over (brm brm) and then nothing. Turn the key again or a third time and it starts. The car hasn't been getting a whole lot of excersize because the weather has been freezing so today was the first time in about 5 days that I started it. In the morning it had the first problem I described and in the afternoon, it had the second problem. During the day when I made several stops, it worked fine. BTW, cars got 117k on it and the ECM was refurbished and updated in August 2009.

Thanks for any ideas...I'm not mechanical and just getting a diagnosis on an intermittent problem is going to be $$$$$.

A few months ago my SC developed a problem starting. Basically, I turn the key and nothing happens. Lights all go on though. I turn it a few more times and it starts up and runs just fine. This seems to happen mostly on a cold engine although I've experienced it several times throughout the day. At first, the problem only required me turning the key 2 - 3 times. Now I have to turn it 3 - 4 times. I've tried making sure the steering wheel was not locked and the gear shift (automatic) was not locked and usually on the fourth time I push the shift lock override button once or twice and then it starts up which may or may not be related. Now, I've developed a new symptom where I turn the key, it sounds like it's going to kick over (brm brm) and then nothing. Turn the key again or a third time and it starts. The car hasn't been getting a whole lot of excersize because the weather has been freezing so today was the first time in about 5 days that I started it. In the morning it had the first problem I described and in the afternoon, it had the second problem. During the day when I made several stops, it worked fine. BTW, cars got 117k on it and the ECM was refurbished and updated in August 2009.

Thanks for any ideas...I'm not mechanical and just getting a diagnosis on an intermittent problem is going to be $$$$$.

Sure sounds like you need a starter to me. Those are the symptoms I remember when I put a new starter in.

Sure sounds like you need a starter to me. Those are the symptoms I remember when I put a new starter in.

Yep (your starter is bad)

Thanks for any ideas...I'm not mechanical and just getting a diagnosis on an intermittent problem is going to be $$$.

Before spending any money, do a few tests. Check that all your connections are tight and corrosion free. In cold weather the cranking capacity of your batt is greatly diminished. Together with a poor connection, this will prevent starttup. Fully charge your batt before trying to start. Also load test your batt and test for holding a charge. Are you doing short runs? If so, the batt will not charge up. Have you tried boosting. If it starts with a boost, then the starter is not your prob. Check that the ground to the starter is secure and in good condition. Do you hear any clicks? Listen for a click at the starter relay. Even though the following link is for a 1UZFE, the same principles apply:

http://www.lextreme.com/dx-starter.html

Update - so I made an appointment to get the starter replaced after the first of the year (letting them confirm the diagnosis first) and I went with list in hand to check battery/cables etc as recommended. Car hadn't been driven in a week but the weather had warmed up and it is garage kept. At any rate, turned the key and vroom, no problem. Drove it around for an hour plus, made several stops, ran great. This morning, started right up again, no problem. Hmmm...guess I'll cancel that appointment to replace the starter until it starts happening again. :rolleyes: