Wind Noise

lsrxlex

Hi all,

I got a loud wind noise, and I think that's because the moon roof panel is too low at passenger's side.

The difference in level between sheetmetal roof and weatherstrip (at front and rear corners of panel) are about 1/4". Driver's side levels (at both front and rear corners) seem OK.

(It's a 1990 LS400 with 309k).

Please help.

Thanks.

Shims are used that provide adjustment for the moonroof glass relative to the surrounding sheetmetal. The interior trim panels on the left/right sides of the glass are held on by clips and once removed, you can see the four studs/nuts that hold the glass to the frame and location of the shims.

The shims should be cheap and easy to find, considering how many Gen I LS400s I saw last week at a self-serve salvage yard here in SoCal, courtesy of the Cash for Clunkers program. :(

I apologize for the cell phone picture, the trim has already been removed here. The trim is easily pried off using a small screwdriver. The passenger side is shown here, as viewed from the driver's seat. The shims are removed by loosening the nuts, one of which is shown here.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need anything else...would you mind giving us some history of your car...309k is certainly impressive.

Jeff

post-26650-1260831607_thumb.jpg

Thanks so much for all of your advices.

I'll start fixing the wind noise as soon as I can.

About my 1990 LS: I'm the original owner. And I have replaced: power steering pump (3 times), alternator, rack and pinions (2 times), radiator (with a Koyo one, since Toyota messed it up when changing the timing belt), front calipers (remanufactured-- big mistake), master cylinder, 4 brake hoses/lines, front rotors (3 times), starter (by an indie -- big mistake), timing belt + water pump + pulleys + seals... (3 times), 4 shock absorbers, all of the suspension parts/ bushings (but not the UCA), EGR pipe, blacked-out LCD, antenna, hood struts.

This forum is my life saver. I've learned so much from this family.

Please ask if any questions.

Thanks.

Don

Thanks so much for all of your advices.

I'll start fixing the wind noise as soon as I can.

About my 1990 LS: I'm the original owner. And I have replaced: power steering pump (3 times), alternator, rack and pinions (2 times), radiator (with a Koyo one, since Toyota messed it up when changing the timing belt), front calipers (remanufactured-- big mistake), master cylinder, 4 brake hoses/lines, front rotors (3 times), starter (by an indie -- big mistake), timing belt + water pump + pulleys + seals... (3 times), 4 shock absorbers, all of the suspension parts/ bushings but not the UCA, blacked-out LCD, antenna, hood struts.

This forum is my life saver. I've learned so much from this family.

Please ask if any questions.

Thanks.

Don

Don, see the attached for a cure for your blacked-out LCD. Looks as though he is very satisfied with the results! Merry Christmas!

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=61655

Brett

Don,

Thanks for the data points on your car. When did your starter go out?

As I read your story, I see that most of your problems are with remanufactured / aftermarket parts and less than stellar service folks. Exactly my experience!

The starter was replaced at ~180k at Stevens Creek Auto in San Jose.

• 2 months later...
I apologize for the cell phone picture, the trim has already been removed here. The trim is easily pried off using a small screwdriver. The passenger side is shown here, as viewed from the driver's seat. The shims are removed by loosening the nuts, one of which is shown here.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need anything else...would you mind giving us some history of your car...309k is certainly impressive.

Jeff

Jeff,

Thanks so much for the cell phone pic. I have the Lexus repair manual (2 volumes), but it says I have to remove so many things to fix the noise problem. Your pic and advice let me go straight to the shims area and I cut some plastic pieces to add to the shim thickness. And the noise is now gone, thanks to you help.

Cheers.

Don

Shims are used that provide adjustment for the moonroof glass relative to the surrounding sheetmetal. The interior trim panels on the left/right sides of the glass are held on by clips and once removed, you can see the four studs/nuts that hold the glass to the frame and location of the shims.

The shims should be cheap and easy to find, considering how many Gen I LS400s I saw last week at a self-serve salvage yard here in SoCal, courtesy of the Cash for Clunkers program. :(

im in socal, where is this yard (el dorado!?!) you speak of?