My Car Didn't Start Suddenly!

bluethunder2008

5 days back, I tried to start my car morning, the ignition is running , but it didn't start.

I took it to the michanic and he said , all electricity is working fine, pump is pushing gas to the engine fine etc.... Timing belt is fine, nothing wrong in the car from out-side. BUT the engine pressure ( though I didn't understand what is it ) is very low while trying to start the car. he showed me a machine reading numbers from another car and he said look at this number , if we try to read it from your car it gives either 0 or nothing....

my Car is 98 LS400, with 262K miles. I'm taking care of the car engine and all regular maintenance,

Does that mean I might lose the engine ?

do you think there is something related to security ( although the red light is off while the key is there )..

He may have been saying that the oil pressure is 0 when you are starting the car.

No, he said the air pressure... there is no alarms in the dashboard indicating oil problem.

Engine air pressure? I have no idea about any of that. :unsure:

Is the cars engine cranking over when you turn the igntion key? If not, your starter could be out, but I think they give some sort of warning?

He may have been saying that the oil pressure is 0 when you are starting the car.

No, he said the air pressure... there is no alarms in the dashboard indicating oil problem.

Is the cars engine cranking over when you turn the igntion key? If not, your starter could be out, but I think they give some sort of warning?

bluethunder...no offense... but me thinks we are in serious need of a translator. ;)

Is he refering to cylinder compression readings? Did they test more than one cylinder? Cranking compression should be around 120 to 150 psi or higher. on a high mileage engine possibly 90 to 100 psi. At 0 psi the engine will not run, if mechanicly ok I would check for restricted exhaust, have them measure cranking vaccuum, it will tell you alot about the engine...

bluethunder...no offense... but me thinks we are in serious need of a translator. ;)

I thought Google was supposed to take care of that already

if we try to read it from your car it gives either 0 or nothing....

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't 0 = nothing? So if it's either one or the other, then the option is ...? :huh:

Does that mean I might lose the engine ?

Haven't heard of this one before ... losing an engine because it doesn't start ..... ? :huh:

Just a thought, but maybe start over and give us some history of how you got to this state and what tests you've done since experiencing your probs. You've got members here willing to help you, but not really given enough comprehensive details! Start over, go slow and describe as much and as best as you can.

• 4 weeks later...

Like the other guy said it sounds like he was checking the pressure with a compression tester... did he pull a spark plug, and turn the motor over? If he did that he should have done all 8 cylinders when the motor was warm. On an older motor you would still like to see higher compression numbers, but you should really be looking for variances between cylinders. If one cylinder is not firing due to no compression your car will run, but very roughly. You could put some oil down that particular cylinder, and then recheck... if it goes up significantly it may just be your valve seals if its just marginally low. If that doesn't bring the number back up to normal they your rings may not be sealing against the cylinder walls requiring a rebuild.