Es300 Not Starting

I have Lexus ES300. I have had an ongoing starting problem for the last 2 -3 years. In the beginning it was minor, so I didn't think anything of it yet. The last year I have had serious starting problems where it makes a click sound only (which probably is the sound of the solenoid). It eventaully starts, but sometimes it takes 4 tries and sometimnes it takes like 50 tries. I brought my car in and they told me to change the battery. I did. It has the same problems. I brought my car back in and they told me it was the starter. Is that the problem?

- JI

I feel it's more likely the starter solenoid more then anything else that is causing this problem. The contacts get burned up due to the heavy current. I would change the starter & solenoid. Do this and your problem will go away. IMHO ;)

Thanks guys. I am going to change the starter and hope that will make all my problems go away.

I mean the starter itself is fine when I did a voltage drop across the starter and it was okay. I brought to Kragen where a guy who works there told me that the tooth portion (gear) that is on the starter is not working properly. He showed how me a bad one versus a good one inside the store.

I hope it doesn't cost too much.

I just had my O2 sensor go out and it vost me like $350 for parts and labor.

He charged me like $170 for the part.

Is that right??

How much should this starter change cost with parts and labor? I got an estimate for $330 at an independent Lexus place. That was the cheapest quote.

- Ji

WAIT, STOP!

Don't buy a new starter until you disassemble yours. I had the same problem with my 4Runner this month and spent a whopping $15.00 to fix my starter. All I had to do was remove the starter and purchase a contact kit from Toyota. It was a simple 30 minute fix.

I'm sure the starter repair is the same for most cars, so check this out before spending your hard earned money. Here's the link: http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/starter/index.html

WAIT, STOP!

Don't buy a new starter until you disassemble yours. I had the same problem with my 4Runner this month and spent a whopping $15.00 to fix my starter. All I had to do was remove the starter and purchase a contact kit from Toyota. It was a simple 30 minute fix.

I'm sure the starter repair is the same for most cars, so check this out before spending your hard earned money. Here's the link: http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/starter/index.html

I agree that doing this repair yourself will save you bucks. In fact I did this same type of fix on a Honda Accord by putting in new solenoid contacts and cleaning out the buildup of crap on the plunger.......it worked out great!

The big problem today is that many repair shops don't want to do this type of rebuilding because it takes too much time, and time is money. They just want to throw in a new starter. It's simpler for them, and they make more money.

Also, the possibility of the starter gear being chewed up from years of mis-engagement is another factor to be considered, so that's why I said to throw in a new or rebuilt starter. ;)

I think the worst thing about doing it myself is that I don't have a lot of time. I am a mechanical engineer, but I never took off a starter before. I clicked onto that link about replacing the contacts, but I agree with that the gear may be chewed up like I stated before. If it's the contacts then It would be a little project that I can do, but then if I find out it's the gear like I think it is, then I would have wasted my time. Unless I can replace the gear myself.

Well, I just got my last estimate. With labor and a whole new starter it'll be like $325.

Any suggestions before I take it in tomorrow??

- Ji

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry guys I haven't updated you on what happened. Well, I ended up going on a business trip instead of bringing in my car first. When I came back from my trip mt car didn't start. Usually on a bad day I can crank it on if try ....oh 30 to 40 times, but this time I not only drained my battery, but I couldn;'t get my car to the shop. I eventully got it towed.

It was the starter after all. I don't believe it was the contacts and I would eventaully want to replace my starter anyways.

It cost me $340, but atleast I can get to work.

Thanks to all who responded and halped me out!!!!

-Millbraemagic

• 2 years later...