Synthetic Atf

grizybaer

https://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorO...thetic_ATF.aspx

Is anyone using Mobil1 Syn ATF? Its now T-IV compliant? Any experiences?

I'm getting ready for a flush and fill + filter change. The transmission is shifting late when cold. I read alot of posts saying its normal.. but i never noticed this behavior before. I'm getting paranoid

I'm getting ready for a flush and fill + filter change. The transmission is shifting late when cold. I read alot of posts saying its normal.. but i never noticed this behavior before. I'm getting paranoid

Yes, transmission does shift late when cold, and also does not engage O/D until the lower temp. reading on the dial is reached. Being paranoid does not mean no-one is out to get you, though!

The general advice seems to run against a 'flush', because a number of transmissions failed after a 'flush'. Explanation seems to be that some metal pieces/shavings could have gotten dislodged and relodged where they shouldn't be. Oil change should be enough.

My tranny fluid was changed, my mechanic did not do the machine flush rather just ran new tranny fluid until it ran clear out the other end. Once that was done I decided upon using Royal Purple synthetic ATF fluid. No problems at all

Great! Good luck!

My advice on this topic has not changed over the years - stay with Toyota T-IV fluid throughout your drivetrain warranty period to protect your wallet. After your drivetrain warranty runs its course, experimenting with these well-respected synthetic ATF fluids that are supposedly T-IV compatible may very well provide better transmission protection and performance than T-IV does. I've never believed that T-IV is anything special, but I've stayed with it solely to protect my financial interests in the vehicle when dealing with Lexus....

I switched to Mobil 1 full synthetic trans fluid almost 2 years and 30,000 miles ago when it first became T-IV compatible. No problems.

No problems is a good thing! On the flip side, what are the benefits?

No noticeable benefits whatsoever. But then, I had no problems with T-IV. Mobil 1 is a full synthetic and T-IV is a semi synthetic. Some possible benefits are longer life and better protection but that's hard to measure. I have almost 30,000 on a new trans with Mobil 1 and it's very clean. Starting from brand new new my last trans fluid (T-IV) was much dirtier at 30K. But the dirt could have been from the original Lexus trans parts which have now been upgraded.

no reports of transmission failure.. a good sign. Does the new fluid shift any smoother? is there any discernible difference compared to OEM ATF?

I was going to drain and drop the pan, change filter and clean magnets. Maybe add a few super powerful neodymium magnets. reassemble,

Pull transmission cooler lines, Fit clear tubing and run to drain pan.. start car, then add ATF through dipstick till 6 quarts are drained. Continue to drain, monitoring fluid color. Shut off car, reassemble. Check level Done

Does that sound right?? am i missing anything?

no reports of transmission failure.. a good sign. Does the new fluid shift any smoother? is there any discernible difference compared to OEM ATF?

I was going to drain and drop the pan, change filter and clean magnets. Maybe add a few super powerful neodymium magnets. reassemble,

Pull transmission cooler lines, Fit clear tubing and run to drain pan.. start car, then add ATF through dipstick till 6 quarts are drained. Continue to drain, monitoring fluid color. Shut off car, reassemble. Check level Done

Good way to go about it, Add a tranny filter and cooler while you have the lines out, Inexpensive and well worth it.

Good way to go about it, Add a tranny filter and cooler while you have the lines out, Inexpensive and well worth it.

A tranny filter in addition to the one in the drain pan? add transmission cooler? I thought we had all these built in. I searched and didnt see many posts on adding tranny coolers? can you point me there?

You already have 2 stock transmission coolers, one in the bottom of the radiator and the second in the fender well. Fender well isn't the best location but it works. Do you really think there is any advantage to adding a third? The trans definetly has a design problem but I don't see anything that indicates there is a trans cooling problem.

You already have 2 stock transmission coolers, one in the bottom of the radiator and the second in the fender well. Fender well isn't the best location but it works. Do you really think there is any advantage to adding a third? The trans definetly has a design problem but I don't see anything that indicates there is a trans cooling problem.

I'm with mickey00 on this. The problems with the transmission seem to arise when the transmission has been stressed by a (too high?) load, which buckles the under-designed planetary gear (or its support for the gears) and thus forces self-destruction. I do not believe heat is the problem, and the RX300 has a 'heat warning light' for the transmission (or, at least, the AWD version has). I have never had it come on, nor have I heard of anyone mentioning that it did; and I assume that Toyota will have designed the sensor to trigger the light before the heat is so high that it causes damage. I do not remember reading even one of the stories about transmission failure that commented the 'overheat' warning light was on or had been on.

The design of the transmission is flawed because the planetary gears were not built to carry the load the RX is built to carry. The later change to a steel (vs. aluminium) plate appears to resolve the issue, and no mention of temperature was made. [Thanks to Lenore and others for my education on the subject!!- Any mistakes are mine, though].

The thing that alerts me is,The fluid is suitable. Not recommended.

I'm not sure what you are trying to say. You dont recommend Syn ATF? and that the Toyota T-IV is suitable.

We know what Toyota ATF is suitable, its oem.. i'm asking for experience with Mobil 1 Syn ATF in toyota transmissions, RX300 . Do you have any such experiences?

I'm not sure what you are trying to say. You dont recommend Syn ATF? and that the Toyota T-IV is suitable.

We know what Toyota ATF is suitable, its oem.. i'm asking if people of their experiences with Mobil 1 Syn ATF. Do you have any such experiences?

No Synthetic is fine,I`m using Amsoil in mine right now. it`s the "suitable" part on the Mobil-1 bottle that I`m talking about. Suitable strikes me as "it`s okay to use" but thats all.

• 2 weeks later...

With the given tranny problems these vehicles have had its wise to go to a synthetic. The T IV is absolutely nothing special. I'm sure the Mobil 1 is fine but I've been using Amsoil's Universal ATF for a couple years now and do a drain and fill about every 20,000 miles. An ATF drain and fill on these vehicles is probably the easiest thing you can do. Hopefully it prolongs the life of the tranny. I've just recently went over 100,000 on my 01 RX300 (knock on wood).

If memory serves me, the applications for the Mobil-1 ATF seem to be word for word for whats writen on the AMS OIL bottle, same do's and don'ts, I would be inerested in using this ATF(Mobil-1) as I use the same brand of engine oil...

If memory serves me, the applications for the Mobil-1 ATF seem to be word for word for whats writen on the AMS OIL bottle, same do's and don'ts, I would be inerested in using this ATF(Mobil-1) as I use the same brand of engine oil...

Is there an exact DIY for the transmission fluid change out there?

btw I have a 2006 RX330 AWD.

Thanks!

The cooler the fluid the longer the fluid lasts and remains more effective, The filter in the pan is only a screen besides the magnets attached on the pan itself, The filter I am refering to is an actual inline filter like an oil filter......That can be replaced as needed, So, The particals never return to the tranny itself. It is a no brainer ;)

The cooler the fluid the longer the fluid lasts and remains more effective

If the trans fluid is operating at the temp it was designed to, lowering the temp will provide no benefit. Coolers are used when you are operating in a maner that will overheat the fluid (extensive towing, etc). The RX has a trans temp light which will indicate this. The RX has a trans design problem, not a trans temp issue.

If the trans fluid is operating at the temp it was designed to, lowering the temp will provide no benefit. Coolers are used when you are operating in a maner that will overheat the fluid (extensive towing, etc). The RX has a trans temp light which will indicate this. The RX has a trans design problem, not a trans temp issue.

I use the cooler to extend the life of the fluid, The tranny only has to heat up to 153 degrees to operate properly, Although full temp is quite above 153, So keeping the fluid cooler is a benefit. ;)

I use the cooler to extend the life of the fluid, The tranny only has to heat up to 153 degrees to operate properly, Although full temp is quite above 153, So keeping the fluid cooler is a benefit. ;)

What makes you think fluid running at 153 will last longer than fluid running at let's say 170? I can see the need for an additional cooler (remember you already have 2) if there is a design problem where the tranny runs above the intended temperature or if some use such as extended towing is raising the temp above the design intent. However, throwing on an extra cooler just to lower the temp below the design intent is not always a good idea just because you saw it on some high performance race car.

What makes you think fluid running at 153 will last longer than fluid running at let's say 170? I can see the need for an additional cooler (remember you already have 2) if there is a design problem where the tranny runs above the intended temperature or if some use such as extended towing is raising the temp above the design intent. However, throwing on an extra cooler just to lower the temp below the design intent is not always a good idea just because you saw it on some high performance race car.

Not the case that I saw it on a race car :P Tranny fluid at full engine temp runs around 200 degrees so I run 190 or cooler, There is only 1 line that runs through the bottom of the radiator. B) Either way you look at it , The cooler temp extends the life of the fluid.