92 Sc 400 Catalytic Converters

I have a 92 sc400 with ~ 100k on it.

One of the cats just decided to fail, and I'm wondering if it is safe to gut it, and run like that until I have the cash to buy new ones.

I've heard that there are overheating issues with gutting them in some cars. I don't want to cause more problems.

Also, does anyone here have any experience with this? I'm not sure of the exact location of the catalytic converters - do I need to get the whole car up in the air, or are they in a position that I can access more easily?

Thanks for your help,

Daniel

I have a 92 sc400 with ~ 100k on it.

One of the cats just decided to fail, and I'm wondering if it is safe to gut it, and run like that until I have the cash to buy new ones.

I've heard that there are overheating issues with gutting them in some cars. I don't want to cause more problems.

Also, does anyone here have any experience with this? I'm not sure of the exact location of the catalytic converters - do I need to get the whole car up in the air, or are they in a position that I can access more easily?

Thanks for your help,

Daniel

you can gut it. it will throw a CEL when you do this, no biggie tho:) You have 3 cats on your car. 1 at the bottom of each exhaust manifold and one downstream in the middle of the exhaust system. they all unbolt(prolly pretty rusty, prepare to break bolts) once you get em off a good power drill and a concrete drill bit should go a long way(they come in different lengths usually about 12-15 inches long) take a pry bar and a good hevay hammer and knock out the rest. its a good idea to put the cat in a vice when you do this. I can't see you having a overheating problem(i've gutted 20 or so in my life on different models and makes and never had that problem.) A car lift will help on this job alot! If you do use floor jacks be sure to use saftey stands(they could save your life!)and ALWAYS wear eye protection! Good luck! Holler if you need more tips:)

post-106115-1259882455_thumb.png

you can gut it. it will throw a CEL when you do this, no biggie tho:) You have 3 cats on your car. 1 at the bottom of each exhaust manifold and one downstream in the middle of the exhaust system. they all unbolt(prolly pretty rusty, prepare to break bolts) once you get em off a good power drill and a concrete drill bit should go a long way(they come in different lengths usually about 12-15 inches long) take a pry bar and a good hevay hammer and knock out the rest. its a good idea to put the cat in a vice when you do this. I can't see you having a overheating problem(i've gutted 20 or so in my life on different models and makes and never had that problem.) A car lift will help on this job alot! If you do use floor jacks be sure to use saftey stands(they could save your life!)and ALWAYS wear eye protection! Good luck! Holler if you need more tips:)

thanks for the tips - sounds like too big of a job for my meager tool box though.

I'll call up a muffler shop and see how much they will extort for replacement.

• 2 weeks later...

So an update on what's going on.

I took the car in, turns out that the two forward cats were disintegrating, and clogging the back one with chunks. The mechanic took out the back cat, cleaned it out, and it was o.k. he also broke loos the guts of the two forward cats. The car is still doing the same thing (won't rev above 2300 rpm or so, it will get up there, and then kick back down below 2000). He's working on trying to figure out whats wrong. do any of you have any ideas?

He said his tech's first guess is timing belt - but that was just replaced a little while ago (probably close to a year or maybe even longer).

I took the car in, turns out that the two forward cats were disintegrating, and clogging the back one with chunks. The mechanic took out the back cat, cleaned it out, and it was o.k. he also broke loos the guts of the two forward cats. The car is still doing the same thing (won't rev above 2300 rpm or so, it will get up there, and then kick back down below 2000). He's working on trying to figure out whats wrong. do any of you have any ideas?

He said his tech's first guess is timing belt - but that was just replaced a little while ago (probably close to a year or maybe even longer).

the exhaust pipe between the two fronts and the back cat could be stopped up too.(this is most likely your problem) Its not your timing belt......you should take it to another shop( they shouldn't be near a car if thats what they are saying) :chairshot: If your car had "jumped time" you would have a very apparent "missfire'' thru the entire RPM range(from idle to redline)

post-106115-1260975225_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

the exhaust pipe between the two fronts and the back cat could be stopped up too.(this is most likely your problem) Its not your timing belt......you should take it to another shop( they shouldn't be near a car if thats what they are saying):chairshot: If your car had "jumped time" you would have a very apparent "missfire'' thru the entire RPM range(from idle to redline)

i

Hello all, This is my first post, so I hope I'm doing it appropriately and in the correct area, etc. I'm interested in the catalytic converter replacement aspect. I have a 94 SC 300 with a stinky exhaust. (We all know that sulpher smell.) Has anyone had success with aftermarket converters? New ones cost almost as much as the car is worth (and mine's a nice one). Any info would be appreciated. Thanks, Sizemo49