05' Headlights

tec548

I have an 05' GX470 and the headlights when on dim are woefully inadequate. The bright setting is about what my BMW (bi-Xenon) does on low beam. Am I correct in thinking that the GX is bi-Xenon? Is the GX only Xenon on the high beam? Is there another bulb that I can put in that will actually give some useable light? Which bulb(s) would you recommend?

Thanks!

Your GX has halogen low and high beam headlights -- not HID/Xenon. Some people "swear by" Silverstar and other blue tinted halogen bulbs -- I'm more prone to swear at them. I've found that the much less expensive clear capsule Sylvania Xtravision bulbs provide noticeably more light than standard bulbs -- less than $20 for a 2-pack at discount stores. You might try a set of Xtravision H11XV bulbs in your low beams. You can verify the correct bulb type at http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProducts/A...placementGuide/

• 3 months later...
Thanks for the reply. I guess I should have checked to see if it was Xenon or not before asking. I just kind of assumed that it would be Xenon on a 60k SUV. I will check out the bulbs you suggested.

I've also had a difficult time adjusting to the halogens on my GX in the 4 years I've owned mine. One would expect a 60K SUV to have Xenons (which I loved in my Infiniti), but the most accepted reason I've heard for their abscense is the risk of the HIDs to oncoming vehicles. While I somewhat accept that theory, GM (more specifically Cadillac) seems to have no problem putting blinding HIDs in the Escalade. :angry:

I fully agree that GX did not come except for the new generation one are equipped as a option. But if you need HID as an option The products are from Xenon Depot. They have shown good results and lot of GX owners are quite happy with its performance. If you want to go for the mod that is modding the lens and then the HID kit having OEM Phillips ballasts and Xenon bulb, then the performance is too good, Amazing clarity.Here is the mod done from the normal OEM fresnel lens to TL and the above kit phillips kit.

post-21708-1268798473_thumb.jpg