How Do I Find A Oil Leak On A 2001 Es Lexus

• 2 weeks later...

I need help with my lexus. It is leaking oil and I need to fix it. Im trying to avoid the mechanic.

How much oil is it leaking? Do you know if it is motor oil and not tranny fluid or power steering fluid.

Buy a few cans of brake clean and carefully spray down the engine to clean any oil laying around. Drive the car around.

Place a clean piece of cardboard under the engine for the night.

In the morning slide the cardboard out and it should help give you a rough idea of where to start looking.

From there get under the car and attempt to follow the oil leak.

I am not as familiar with Lexus motors specifically. Two common areas could be the valve cover gasket or the oil pan gasket.

Ali

• 3 weeks later...

I was informed about 2 options:

1) either pay about $1000 for them to find it or

2) do pretty much the same that PrinceAli recommended, clean the engine, drive it & then look for the leak but i believe there were 3 places that the leak could be originating.

Here's another thought, mine leak is barely weeping so maybe a drop or 2 per day driven, and i have the oil changed every 3-4 months so it's not a huge loss. My car is a 1998 ES 300 so, given that it's a decade old, it's a fact that it will eventually leak just because seals will not last forever.