Steering Issue...bushings? Pump?

ESScee400

I lowered my car about 2 weeks ago. About a 2" drop all around with TT shocks and Eibach springs. I just got my car aligned yesterday, so the springs should be really close if not already settled. The issue that I'm having is at a stop or really low speed, it's extremely difficult to turn my steering wheel (about as tough as it is to turn it without the car started). At moderate speeds, 20-30 mph, it gets a little easier to turn but it's still tough and the steering wheel kind of skips as your turning it, that's the best way to describe it. At regular speed above 30, it gets easier to turn, but it's still harder than it should be or was before I lowered. I'm thinking that it's my control arm bushings because before I lowered, my car made that famous "rusty door hinge" sound when turning at low speeds. Is that my issue or am I looking at a bigger problem? Could it me a power steering issue that coincidentally started right after lowering or is it suspension-related? Any help appreciated. Thanks!

I lowered my car about 2 weeks ago. About a 2" drop all around with TT shocks and Eibach springs. I just got my car aligned yesterday, so the springs should be really close if not already settled. The issue that I'm having is at a stop or really low speed, it's extremely difficult to turn my steering wheel (about as tough as it is to turn it without the car started). At moderate speeds, 20-30 mph, it gets a little easier to turn but it's still tough and the steering wheel kind of skips as your turning it, that's the best way to describe it. At regular speed above 30, it gets easier to turn, but it's still harder than it should be or was before I lowered. I'm thinking that it's my control arm bushings because before I lowered, my car made that famous "rusty door hinge" sound when turning at low speeds. Is that my issue or am I looking at a bigger problem? Could it me a power steering issue that coincidentally started right after lowering or is it suspension-related? Any help appreciated. Thanks!

Come on guys! 30 views and no input. I could use some help with this issue! I know you're a smart gang!

Come on guys! 30 views and no input. I could use some help with this issue! I know you're a smart gang!

I really don't think its your control arm bushings (although they probally are bad given the noise you describe) this is also a common failure in our cars. I believe(based on my experience) the problem is in your steering rack. The "skipping" you describe is a classic sign that it has failed and i'm sure the rack mounts are junk too( another common problem in our cars). When you lower a car this changes the steering angle, thus making it harder on the steering components. When you add that with other factors ( high mileage, a leaking rack or pump) very bad "un-LEXUS" like things happen.

I really don't think its your control arm bushings (although they probally are bad given the noise you describe) this is also a common failure in our cars. I believe(based on my experience) the problem is in your steering rack. The "skipping" you describe is a classic sign that it has failed and i'm sure the rack mounts are junk too( another common problem in our cars). When you lower a car this changes the steering angle, thus making it harder on the steering components. When you add that with other factors ( high mileage, a leaking rack or pump) very bad "un-LEXUS" like things happen.

That actually makes perfect sense. Thank you. I wasn't thinking steering rack at all to be honest, I didn't think a part like that would fault on a Lexus.

I've decided though that I'm just going to take it in and have it looked over by a mechanic. It's getting way too cold in these parts for me to work on my car, and I don't do cold weather. I'm just going to have the problem diagnosed and then I'll gather the parts I need and then wait for a warm day to come around to begin wrenching. B)

Took the car in today to have it looked at by a mechanic in order to save me time. Basically, they don't know what the problem is. They were able to tell me that I'm leaking power steering fluid, but they couldn't figure out where the leak was coming from. I ended up getting in an arguement with the guy at the front desk because he tried to pull some BS on me thinking I was a moron. Little does he know, I probably know more than most of the mechanics in his garage. Anyways, now I just have to figure out where the leak is coming from. It's not coming from the pump. They wanted to charge me $280 to run a dye through my system to find out where the leak was coming from (this is what stemmed the arguement) so I turned down that offer and I'll just figure out the problem myself.

Are there any common places where power steering fluid tends to leak from on SC's?

Took the car in today to have it looked at by a mechanic in order to save me time. Basically, they don't know what the problem is. They were able to tell me that I'm leaking power steering fluid, but they couldn't figure out where the leak was coming from. I ended up getting in an arguement with the guy at the front desk because he tried to pull some BS on me thinking I was a moron. Little does he know, I probably know more than most of the mechanics in his garage. Anyways, now I just have to figure out where the leak is coming from. It's not coming from the pump. They wanted to charge me $280 to run a dye through my system to find out where the leak was coming from (this is what stemmed the arguement) so I turned down that offer and I'll just figure out the problem myself.

Are there any common places where power steering fluid tends to leak from on SC's?

the high pressue hose going to the rack from the pump(very common atleast in the sc300) However, chances are it is the same issuse on your 400(even tho its a completely different pump system)Those guys are full of it. (makes you wanna hurt somebody :chairshot: ) If i was you i would degrease the pump/rack area. A car lift helps with this(also a pressure washer)After that drive the car(take a bunch of turns and stuff...Hell, do some donuts B) then get a really good flash light and put it back on the lift. Remember that powersteering fluid is subject to the laws of gravity. Keep looking up until you don't see power steering fluid this will give you a general area to start. (look near connection points)

post-106115-1260630964_thumb.jpg