Transmission Fluid Change

steve2006

I have posted this on the UK club but thought you Guys over the pond should also see it.

I've even used the US equivalents :D

With 100,000 KMs (60,000 miles) now achieved I have been meaning to do a transmission fluid change for some while now, it just annoyed me that in the USA I could buy 12 quarts of Toyota Type IV for a mere £26.00 ( $44.00 Ebay.com) but over here it has cost me £88.00 ($146.50) for 10 litres ( 10.5 quarts) of the stuff and that was with a 10% discount from Sean at Lexus Derby.

Anyway no good crying £88.00 compared with a duff transmission is peanuts so I bought the stuff and commenced the operation.

I was going to do the flush as described on Lexls but then decided to do the sump pan drain and refill method therefore draining around 2 litres then refilling repeatedly.

Up on the axle stands and armed with a 14mm ring and a suitable drain container I released then removed the bolt.

As the old oil stream came out it did look a nice cherry red which at this point made me think "has this been done before I bought the car" ( being an import I had no service history dispite making many enquiries).

However once I had poured it into an old plastic pop bottle to measure it accurately I was convinced that it was original as it was nearly black in color!

I think left much longer I would have had serious problems.

So if anyone is "thinking" about this job DO IT! I was lucky to get away with mine but it does show the tolerance of the Lexus transmission to put up with old fluid in this state.

I had no noticeable problems with the transmission with the fluid in this state it was still as smooth as silk.

Just so you can gasp below is a picture showing the difference.

Untitled_0022_0001.jpg

Steve...does your wife know you used her good measuring cup??! :o

She found out I had been using it , I am now called Steve Austin the Six Million Dollar Man.........Barely Alive :lol:

lol, we'll be taking up donations for you!!! :lol:

Just so you can gasp below is a picture showing the difference.

Ah, I did gasp. :) Did it appear clean on the dipstick, or not that noticably dirty until it was in the container?

I have looked at mine on the stick and it appears to be light pink in color... should be OK for awhile.

Steve...does your wife know you used her good measuring cup??! :o

LOL! :D