"tinny" Sounding Audio System

HELP

I bought a new 2008 IS F last month with the Mark Levinson audio system and a dealer installed satellite radio receiver. The sound quality is terrible! It reminds me of a 1950's single speaker car radio. I would estimate that 70% to 80% of the sound is coming from the large middle speaker on top of the dash. The only way I can change this dominance is to adjust the front to rear control all the way to the rear - then it sounds like you are sitting at the end of a tunnel. I have tried every conceivable adjustment to no avail and it does not make much of a difference if I switch to CD's instead of XM. I am frustrated to the point I have the audio system turned off.

The best way to describe the sound is "tinny".

Is this common with the Mark Levinson audio system?

If not, could the dealer have screwed it up installing the satellite radio?

Am I missing something? The sales rep at the dealer just acknowledged my dissatisfaction but did not offer ant help or advice. Similar reaction from their service department.

I would really appreciate any feedback. I intend to contact Lexis Customer Satisfaction later this week.

Thanks,

Mikey, Mikey, Mikey

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 2005 ES330 w Mark Levinson & Navi, and a 2007 Camry XLE w/JBL & Navi setup.

The JBL system completely blows away the Levinson system. And the Levinson has a sub in the rear deck, that as far as I can tell is completely underpowered.

I have to turn the system 3/4 to full volume just to get what is 1/2 output from JBL. I really think if you dissect the systems, you'll see that the Mark Levinson speakers don't look much better than stock Corolla speakers.

I don't have a center channel speaker in any of my cars, but it sounds like all the voice is going there. Could be a problem with the dolby processing going on in your head unit. Perhaps there is a way to turn that feature off?

2005-

Thanks for the feedback. I have the same impression: it is underpowered and the speakers are cheap. The only way I can get a decent sound is to turn it way, way up! It says it has a subwoofer, but again you have to get it really loud before you can hear it. I can not believe I paid a premium for it.

Any audio geeks out there with a suggestion? Add a pre-amp? Change the center speaker? Rewire or disconnect the center speaker?

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

• 1 month later...

The issue with most of the sound coming out of the center speaker can be fixed if you turn off surround - I believe the surround circuitry takes the stereo signal from Sat/Radio/CD and routes the vocal frequencies to the center speakers.

To turn off surround (I have an '07 GS, could be different with yours), go to the audio screen (where you select the preset or the title of the song) and in the bottom left there is a button for "DSP" - hit that and you'll see a selection to turn off surround.

Unfortunately, processing a non-surround 2-channel audio signal to create a multi-channel signal usually results in overloading of the sound through a single speaker - and usually the center one. Similar to the old Pro Logic surround home theater systems.

• 1 month later...
HELP

I bought a new 2008 IS F last month with the Mark Levinson audio system and a dealer installed satellite radio receiver. The sound quality is terrible! It reminds me of a 1950's single speaker car radio. I would estimate that 70% to 80% of the sound is coming from the large middle speaker on top of the dash. The only way I can change this dominance is to adjust the front to rear control all the way to the rear - then it sounds like you are sitting at the end of a tunnel. I have tried every conceivable adjustment to no avail and it does not make much of a difference if I switch to CD's instead of XM. I am frustrated to the point I have the audio system turned off.

The best way to describe the sound is "tinny".

Is this common with the Mark Levinson audio system?

If not, could the dealer have screwed it up installing the satellite radio?

Am I missing something? The sales rep at the dealer just acknowledged my dissatisfaction but did not offer ant help or advice. Similar reaction from their service department.

I would really appreciate any feedback. I intend to contact Lexis Customer Satisfaction later this week.

Thanks,

Mikey, Mikey, Mikey

Just 1 note..... any music coming from a compressed audio source (MP3 or satellite radio) will sound bad in comparison to CD playback. CD and FM should sound good in comparison to satellite radio.

They may say 'digital quality' but it is compressed none the less.