Extended Warranty?

Hi everyone,

I am leasing a 2010 RX 350 - I pick it up Saturday!

I'm pretty excited, this will be my first Lexus.

I am wondering what "the experts" here think about extended warranties - is it necessary?

I don't intend to buy the vehicle at the end of the lease (at least I don't think so at this point).

In Canada, the standard warranty is 4 years or 80,000km.

My lease is 4 years, but I will proably do closer to 120,000km by the end of the lease term.

The cost of the warranty is about $2000 (CDN).

What do you think?

Hi everyone,

I am wondering what "the experts" here think about extended warranties - is it necessary?

I don't intend to buy the vehicle at the end of the lease (at least I don't think so at this point).

My lease is 4 years, but I will proably do closer to 120,000km by the end of the lease term.

What do you think?

I had enquired about the cost etc... of an extended warranty. My understanding is that you have until the end of your current warranty (in the US) to decide whether or not to purchase the extended warranty. [i had enquired from the following post, and the person's price was well below the 'list price':

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...t=0#entry371423

]

so I believe you have lots of time to see where you stand before making the decision.

Good luck!

Hi everyone,

What do you think?

If I can ask - are you in Toronto? How are the Lexus dealers and service in Toronto? [i may move in the next year or so, and will have to decide whether to keep or sell my RX350. In the event, I would prefer to keep it because I drive about 5K miles a year on it, and the car is like new. But unless the service tis topnotch, I'll move to another brand.]

thanks for replying Paul - I am going to call today and ask the business manager about waiting to decide about the warranty extension - I did not get the impression from her last week when I signed the papers that this was an option - she was talking about me having until delivery to decide.....

probably hard for you to comment since you put so little miles on your vehicle - but how does the RX 350 fare after the standard warranty is up? I'm slightly concerned with all the gizmos and electronics - could be costly if something in that computer goes, no?

I am not in Toronto - I'm an hour west of Toronto in Kitchener. The Lexus dealer here has been around for DECADES - a very reputable local family with TOP NOTCH SERVICE - have heard very good things about them from other customers on the Toyota side, and so far I have been very impressed with the people on the Lexus side - friendly, knowledgeable, professional. Don't have any first hand experience on the service side, but I'm not concerned at all.

I'm not familiar with any of the Toronto dealers, but have to think that with a broader market, they'd better be up to high standards or would quickly lose business to the other luxury dealers across the street or down the road. I will see if I can find anyone in my company who lives in Toronto that may have some experience with the dealers there and let you know.

thanks for replying Paul - I am going to call today and ask the business manager about waiting to decide about the warranty extension - I did not get the impression from her last week when I signed the papers that this was an option - she was talking about me having until delivery to decide.....

probably hard for you to comment since you put so little miles on your vehicle - but how does the RX 350 fare after the standard warranty is up? I'm slightly concerned with all the gizmos and electronics - could be costly if something in that computer goes, no?

I am not in Toronto - I'm an hour west of Toronto in Kitchener. The Lexus dealer here has been around for DECADES - a very reputable local family with TOP NOTCH SERVICE - have heard very good things about them from other customers on the Toyota side, and so far I have been very impressed with the people on the Lexus side - friendly, knowledgeable, professional. Don't have any first hand experience on the service side, but I'm not concerned at all.

I'm not familiar with any of the Toronto dealers, but have to think that with a broader market, they'd better be up to high standards or would quickly lose business to the other luxury dealers across the street or down the road. I will see if I can find anyone in my company who lives in Toronto that may have some experience with the dealers there and let you know.

Thanks for your comments....

I cannot personally advise on the (long?) life of the RX350, but looking through the forum it would seem that the problems are generally few and not of substance. I had a 99RX300 and some of the problems on that car were serious: back engine seal, transmission etc..., but - to date - these problems do not seem to occur on the second series RXs. Also, if you are getting a new RX (presumably the 2010 model), the history is not yet written.

Re: the warranty. I would suggest you write or speak to this TobyToyota individual. He answered me very promptly and a friend spoke to him over the tel. and was impressed... I don't know if he can speak for Canadian Lexus, though. In my case, I did not see the point of committing to a warranty before I needed to do so, and there is a (small) risk that I would not even own the car when the extended warranty would start. Dealers always want to make immediate sales.... I would check to see if the extended warranty in Canada is available to the end of the original warranty before committing. Best of luck!

The Canadian Dealer says the short 4 yrs 120,000km extension is only available up front - the other longer ones (5 and 7 yrs) are available any time before the manufacturer's warranty is up (subject to a surcharge). I will take my chances.

Good luck! I wish you happy ownership! Welcome to te Lexus family!