Noise From Instrument Cluster

redhawks2

Yesterday while driving home in my '90 LS a new noise appeared from my dash. It sounds like it's coming from the instrument cluster area and moves up and down with car speed. Sounds like the regular purring of a cat...not very loud. The noise does not change in volume, only repetition. It definitely sounds like a mechanical, ratcheting type of noise. What the heck could this be? :blink:

Yesterday while driving home in my '90 LS a new noise appeared from my dash. It sounds like it's coming from the instrument cluster area and moves up and down with car speed. Sounds like the regular purring of a cat...not very loud. The noise does not change in volume, only repetition. It definitely sounds like a mechanical, ratcheting type of noise. What the heck could this be? :blink:

I suspect it may be the speedometer cable check to see if it related to car speed or engine speed does it go away in park while changing engine speed?

was your climate control fan on? i have the same noise in the acura when i turn on the heat or AC and this noise is due to faulty bearing in one of the fans

My 90 LS has had a tick, tick, tick from the speedomet (or cable) for the last 100,000 or so. It has never seemed worth fixing and doesn't bother me at all now.

The noise could be from the mechanical odometer's little drive gear starting to fail. Mine started making a similar noise at about 120K although it continued to record the miles. I finally had it replaced at 125K since the noise sort of spoiled the silence. I always liked being able to hear my wrist watch ticking while driving - OK, my watch ticks pretty loudly! You might try using an auto stethoscope to zero in on the source of the noise - they cost only a few bucks at an auto parts store and are handy for figuring out noise sources in the engine compartment too.

The noise is definitely related to speed and not fans or anything else. I'm confident that it is the odometer indicator and would like to fix it if someone knows how. I'm assuming that the cluster has to come out to get to the odometer.

Thanks for any input.

i some how don't think it is anything to do with the speedo since i m pretty sure you have a speed sensor not a steel cable to the dash

so there is no noise atributed to it

it is more than likely the heater control moving the servos in the dash to adjust the vents and temp as time goes on some get louder

turn off the car and change the temp dial in auto and notice if the sounds are the same