Strange White Light

scouse2

Thanks to this forum I now know that the overhead controls in my new 2010 RX350 are not illuminated but when I fumble up there at nightime to use the Homelink buttons I noticed that there is a small white light situated in the centre of the microphone slots to the rear of the home link buttons. It shines down on my hand when I'm using the homelink buttons. I dont see it in the manual, does any one know what this light is for ?

Thanks to this forum I now know that the overhead controls in my new 2010 RX350 are not illuminated but when I fumble up there at nightime to use the Homelink buttons I noticed that there is a small white light situated in the centre of the microphone slots to the rear of the home link buttons. It shines down on my hand when I'm using the homelink buttons. I dont see it in the manual, does any one know what this light is for ?

I don't have this particular model, but like most European cars, it's an ambient light that usually covers around the area where most automatic shifters are located

I don't have this particular model, but like most European cars, it's an ambient light that usually covers around the area where most automatic shifters are located

Thanks, I just checked and noticed that the light is situated directly above the coffee cup holders/nav. mouse area. I'll check it tonight and see if the shifter area is illuminated.

My 09RX350 has both illuminated homelink controls and also a faint white light shining down (from the top) onto the shifter and that area.

My 09RX350 has both illuminated homelink controls and also a faint white light shining down (from the top) onto the shifter and that area

ditto homelink buttons light up and have the light pointing down... I believe the concept of the light is just to illuminate the center console area while driving at night, with out having to "turn on" the interior lights... kind of useless but I like it… allows my wife to fumble around a bit with out total darkness… I belive they are just ambient lights... There is a also a matching set in the "feet" area.

I find it strange that some years of the RX has illuminated homelink buttons, and other years don't. In my case I have a 04 RX and it does, so it not like the older ones didn't and the newer ones do...

Although now that I think about it perhaps where they are manufactured makes a different. Mines Japan (I think) I'll verify... So here is a question those of you that do have the homelink buttons that illuminate, where is your RX manufactured?

My 09RX350 has both illuminated homelink controls and also a faint white light shining down (from the top) onto the shifter and that area

ditto homelink buttons light up and have the light pointing down... I believe the concept of the light is just to illuminate the center console area while driving at night, with out having to "turn on" the interior lights... kind of useless but I like it… allows my wife to fumble around a bit with out total darkness… I belive they are just ambient lights... There is a also a matching set in the "feet" area.

I find it strange that some years of the RX has illuminated homelink buttons, and other years don't. In my case I have a 04 RX and it does, so it not like the older ones didn't and the newer ones do...

Although now that I think about it perhaps where they are manufactured makes a different. Mines Japan (I think) I'll verify... So here is a question those of you that do have the homelink buttons that illuminate, where is your RX manufactured?

My 2010 RX is manufactured in Japan and it has no Homelink illumination.

My 2010 RX is manufactured in Japan and it has no Homelink illumination.

My 2009 RX is manufactured in Canada. It has the 'premium luxury' package, which includes the illuminated door sills and the inside (foot area) lights that remain very softly on at night, get stronger when you stop. I have some difficulty in believing that the homelink buttons' illumination would only be part of the 'premium luxury' package..as well as having sifficulty in believeing they would not be illumated at all. Could it be anything to do with the dash lights' level setting?

• 6 years later...