Leaking Coolant Reservoir

joedoc

has anyone tried replacing the coolant overflow reservoir with one of the aluminum cusco type tanks (sold on E-Bay and elsewhere)? it looks like that kind of tank wouldn't have the ability to handle a radiator cap, leaving the cooling system without a pressure relief.

I thought someone had mentioned in one of the posts that he had a radiator shop fashion a new tank out of copper or bronze--can't find that post now though. any experience with that?

I'm not sure if this helps but you can buy a new Lexus coolant tank for about $150 from the dealer. I'm sure that an aluminum coolant tank would look cool though ... similar to the ones on the super charged Saleen Mustangs.

:)

Does new resevoir fit in the existing spot? If it does, I really don't see any reason why you don't just remove the existing unit, and swap the fluid to the new one.

Same coolant reserve tank problem here with an SC400. Dealer wants about $400 for parts saying that Lexus redesigned the tank (presumably to correct this common leak problem) and requires that you buy not only the tank but also a new cap and level sensor.

I am interested in any less expensive tanks available on the market. Anybody know anything?

-Thanks

I just ordered a new tank (incl sensor) from JP Importz (ad at top of this page) for 165.00 plus 10.00 shipping. I suppose that it shouldn't be too hard to install---I imagine that I want to keep the hoses to the radiator and water pump facing skyward to prevent air getting in cooling system while I install it---is that correct? Any other tips? Thanks

The installation should be really easy, you will need to pinch the hose to prevent the cooling from coming out. We shipped the tank out yesterday. Let us know when you receive the tank.

JPI