Ls400 W/ Hid Projector Retrofit

Schnitz

Had a local retorofitter install FX45R Bixenon projectors and Porsche Cayenne shrouds. I'll add pics of light output comparison later. I still have to go through the process of aiming them correctly tonight. I can see the cutoff in my garage and it's it's a million times crisper than the OEM HID.

Excuse the filthy car it's been raining for 4 days here.

Picture001.jpg

Picture003.jpg

Picture005.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Looks great! Very OEM. Don't care for the emblemless grille though...

The LS400's turn signals are already clear, the bulb is just amber. You have to replace them with a bulb that has a silver coating to get that look.

The LS400's turn signals are already clear, the bulb is just amber. You have to replace them with a bulb that has a silver coating to get that look.

Sorry Steve but the bulbs used in the 98-00 front turn signals are clear and there is a plastic amber "bubble" bulb surround inside the clear turn signal housing. Some people break out the plastic amber bubble and then use silver coated amber bulbs to make the housing look clear while still providing amber light from the turn signal. Some people, however, have damaged their turn signals while breaking out the amber bubble. The problem is that the amber plastic can break away in a big chunk requiring the use of needle nose pliers break up the amber plastic chunks into pieces small enough to be extracted through the bulb hole. I don't see the benefit but I guess some do.

There is a much more detailed thread on Schnitz's projector headlight mod on ClubLexus. My opinion is that the sharper cutoff is a not all that important but a plus is that the low beam seems substantially wider than the standard HID low beam -- more similar to the low beam pattern on a European car that provides better light for rounding curves. The mod also preserves the OEM automatic headlight leveling. And it gets better! The bixenon projectors provide an additional high beam that works in conjunction with the existing high beam headlamp.

I'm not usually much of a fan of mods but this is the best headlight mod I've seen.