Replace Stop (brake) Light Switch

trevenarj

I need to replace the stop light switch in my 2005 RX-330. This is apparently a common problem. I believe I see the switch near the brake rod while lying on the floor of the car. It appears to be kind of hard to get to and is held in place by a nut on the shaft of the switch. Has anyone replaced one? Any DIY links?

Thanks in advance.

I need to replace the stop light switch in my 2005 RX-330. This is apparently a common problem. I believe I see the switch near the brake rod while lying on the floor of the car. It appears to be kind of hard to get to and is held in place by a nut on the shaft of the switch. Has anyone replaced one? Any DIY links?

Thanks in advance.

Trevenarj,

We just had a Stop Light Switch Assembly replaced today on a 2002 SC430 with 34,000 miles. I don't have any real details beyond the fact that it was diagnosed by the dealer after a Check Engine light appeared the other day. Damages were as follows: parts $245.56 / Labor $301.50. No DIY links I'm afraid . . . good luck and keep up the posts!

Thanks in advance.

Trevenarj,

We just had a Stop Light Switch Assembly replaced today on a 2002 SC430 with 34,000 miles. I don't have any real details beyond the fact that it was diagnosed by the dealer after a Check Engine light appeared the other day. Damages were as follows: parts $245.56 / Labor $301.50. No DIY links I'm afraid . . . good luck and keep up the posts!

I bought the stop light switch for $32.00 from partsgeek.com

• 1 month later...

Thanks in advance.

Hey Trevenarj,

Have you tried to replace the switch yet? I had the dealer tell me that I need to replace the switch as well, and can see the switch, like you mentioned, but it's awfully tight to get to. I just wanted to see if it's something I need to have someone else do, or if I can tackle it myself.

Thanks.

i changed the stoplight switch in my 94 ls400 it was a breeze but you're in a very uncomfortable position. check your fuse for your brakelight illumination because if it blows they will not illumniate. After i fixed my stoplight switch my brakelights still weren't working until i replaced the blown fuse. good luck

Thanks in advance.

Hey Trevenarj,

Have you tried to replace the switch yet? I had the dealer tell me that I need to replace the switch as well, and can see the switch, like you mentioned, but it's awfully tight to get to. I just wanted to see if it's something I need to have someone else do, or if I can tackle it myself.

Thanks.

I replaced it today. I suspect it is easier as you do more of them, but the biggest problem is the lack of space. Here's how I did it:

1. Release the spring that attaches to the brake pedal for better access.

2. Using a 14 mm wrench, loosen the nut that holds the switch next to the mounting bracket. This is difficult because other items in the vicinity prevent you from having any swing length for the wrentch. I had better luck placing the wrench from above.

3. Disconnect the wiring harness

4. Turn the cylinder portion of the switch until it backs out of the mounting bracket.

5. Replace the new switch by doing everything in reverse.

I had a very difficult time reconnecting the harness due to lack of space. I then realized that more space is gained as you turn the switch farther in the bracket. Tightening the nut was also a challenge during reinstallation. The switch works, but I do need to check to be sure the light goes on with minimal depression of the brake pedal (i.e. that I didn't screw the switch in too far).

• 2 weeks later...