Odd Noise

1UZ-FE

I just bought a 1994 lexus LS400. I had a pre-purchase inspection done to it at Johnson Lexus here in Raleigh, NC. The only thing that they found that might have to do with this odd creaking sound that seems to be coming from the front end is the steering stabilizer bar. This was fixed though. Whenever i brake and turn in just the right way it sort of creaks. It isn't really loud, or cause any vibration. It only occurs at speeds of 5mph or slower. HELP!!

dont you think that the dealer would have noticed that? they looked at exerything: ashtray assy. need replacing, light bulbs out, heated seat switch sticky, unglued woodgrain. i think something like that would have been noticed. i might be wrong.

Hello 1UZ-FE. I have some relatives over in Raleigh. Ironically, my aunt that lives over there has a black 1990 Lexus LS400, that my uncle also bought at Johnson Lexus a few years ago. It has really been a great car. I think it had about 40K when they bought it. Now I think it is over 160K and still like new. They must really sell great cars there. I am sure that yours will be a excellent car as well. If I recall, there is a dealer over called "Leith" over there that has many different new car dealerships throughout the city. It has been a few years since I have visited over there. I once stayed for about 2 weeks, but that was several years ago and I remember seeing several "Leith" dealerships. Actually, my uncle brought my grandmother a older model Honda Accord that came from Leith Honda. It still had the dealer tag on the front and on the trunk. Good luck with your Lexus.

My 90 LS400, with 226K also has some thumps from the front suspension over bumps. I think that suspension noises on the LS400s, with over 100K is not uncommon.

creeking can come with worn shocks or links like bushings. a common suspension replacement are the lower ball joints and strut arm bushings oh and did you change the sway bar bushings? i recently changed every sigle suspension piece and its back to new! good luck :lol:

i'm pretty sure its the suspenscion problem. my brother had the same simptoms and when he changed struts and springs in front with OEM parts the problem was gone

My 90 LS started making a a farly loud creaking/groaning noise at the front end at about the four year mark (about 60K) when I drove over speed bumps at low speeds. The dealer lubed some bushings at the front and the noise disappeared for a year or so. When I told the dealer that heads were turning to look at the car when it made the noise, he was quick to replace the bushings at no cost! Must have been another one of those "secret recalls". I drove the car another 125K and the noise never returned.

Can you reproduce the noise while not driving? Push vigorously up and down on the front end of the car. Have a buddy put a keen ear in the location of the sound if there is any. If the creak is toward the front of the wheel, then I would lubricate the sway bar (stabilizer bar) bushings.

If problem goes away, replace the bushings. They are cheap and add a good amount of firmness to the overall steering feel.

The bushings from a visual inspection will look ok, but the elasticity of the bushing may be shot. I had this problem before and replaced everthing like jzz30. My front end is now very nice. Now on to the rear!

:lol: yea me too but i dont think the rear wears all that much so i might just pull the hubs out and change wheel bearings like i did on the front be cause it be came alot smoother and quieter. hell if i had it my way i would change all the bearing on the car! :D

• 1 year later...

1UZ-FE, I'm here in Raleigh too. I bought my 95 from Johnson with 85k miles. I'm curious, how do you feel about their service ability? I've had decent history, not great, but decent. How about you?

You need to change the stabilizer bar bushings. I changed mine and they made a huge difference. you will notice the susp will also be quieter and creamier. Also think about the upper a arm bushings. Actually, I changed everything up front on my car, but found those two items to be the only things that made a difference.

good luck

Yo

• 2 weeks later...

Ok im gettin this creaking when im driving in a car park (ie driving slowly break and then turn 90 degree corners over and over again). But I have air sus on my GEN I so what do I do? Can this actually be possible on a airsus setup and not springs and shocks?

Should I Leave it or get it attended to. (ie will it be dangerous to leave it)

Thanks