Loud Wind Noise At 55 And Up. Gx470

burton73

Hi,

I got a new 04 GX470 in December and when driving it home from the dealer I herd wind noise that sound like a window was not closed. I call the service department and they said they would look into it when they do my 1,000MI service. I just got it back and they say that this is a normal amount of wind noise. They say the mirrors are big and that is the way it is. There is no way this is right. I told them if they can not fix it I wanted my money back. $48,000. is a bit of money not to have the Lexus quality that I except. It is really noisy at 65 and you need the stereo up just to drowned out the noise of the wind. I am not a virgin to cars as I am 50 years old and have a stable of 5 cars including Porsche Carrera, Acura MDX, Acura RL, VW beattle, Toyota 4 runner. If I wanted noise I clould of goten SUV from the USA.

Please any help. I am ready to go to battle with Lexus if they keep saying this is just the way this SUV is.

Thanks,

Bob Burton - Los Angeles

818 8907866 - burtonplastics@mail.com

I remember reading an auto road test magazine that mentioned there is some noticable wind noise in the GX above 60 mph. To determine whether the amount of noise in your particular GX is abnormal, you could tape record the noise your vehicle makes at 65 mph and then amount of the another

GX470 makes if you wanted to make a case for the dealer or for a third party arbitrator.

If the wind noise is present and excessive in all GX's, chances are high Lexus is working on an official fix.

I think it is important to bear in mind that while Toyota / Lexus do not sweat all the cosemetic details

as well as they could, before introducting a totally new model like the GX, they still get the mechanicals right. I mean it's very rare for a Toyota / Lexus to have a major drivetrain defect

that seriously compromises reliability and durability.

I remember reading an auto road test magazine that mentioned there is some noticable wind noise in the GX above 60 mph. To determine whether the amount of noise in your particular GX is abnormal, you could tape record the noise your vehicle makes at 65 mph and then amount of the another

GX470 makes if you wanted to make a case for the dealer or for a third party arbitrator.

If the wind noise is present and excessive in all GX's, chances are high Lexus is working on an official fix.

I think it is important to bear in mind that while Toyota / Lexus do not sweat all the cosemetic details

as well as they could, before introducting a totally new model like the GX, they still get the mechanicals right. I mean it's very rare for a Toyota / Lexus to have a major drivetrain defect

that seriously compromises reliability and durability.

Last night my family went out to a restaurant and a person was in the parking lot with a GX470. I asked him if there was wind noise with his GX at freeway speeds and he said that there was none. He said is was everything that a Lexus should be. No wind noise. He had it for several months and If there had been any noise he would have returned it to the dealer for repair. If is possible that my dealer never got my GX up to speed as they are in the center of Los Angles and the freeways are full most of the day hours.

Some one posted that there RX had wind noise and a reader came back with the fact that his did not make noise and suggested that it be CKd with a “When I needed to find a problem like that I use a ultrasonic sender and receiver/sniffer. Really pinpoints the leaks.. “

If any one has a GX with very low or no wind noise, please let me know.

Thanks,

Bob

:D My first GX had the wind noise but lexus would not fix it. What I found after a lot of messing around was. One of the luggage rack bars was on backward, yes there are arrows on the bars and if backwards they make a lot of noise. :D :D :D

:D My first GX had the wind noise but lexus would not fix it. What I found after a lot of messing around was. One of the luggage rack bars was on backward, yes there are arrows on the bars and if backwards they make a lot of noise. :D :D :D

The arrows where pointing forward. I moved the front bar back close to the back to see if makes any difference. I need to Fry test it. When I stepped on the running board on the left side back door, 2 fasteners popped out. I weight 230lb.

I test drove one at the dealership. The wind noise at 65mph is a lot louder than the X5 that I currently have or the Lincoln Avaitor.

I was hoping that it may have to do with the lack of rear spoiler or something that can be fixed.

Please keep me posted. I agree that it makes no sense to buy a "loud" Lexus. The LS that I used to own is one of the quietest car that I've ever been in and I loved it.

Please keep me posted.  I agree that it makes no sense to buy a "loud" Lexus.  The LS that I used to own is one of the quietest car that I've ever been in and I loved it.

Tonight I put the windows down and pulled back the mirrors back and the wind noise was still there. The dealer says the big mirrors in the wind at speed is what is doing it. That is not the case. I hope they can fix this, because this is super nice SUV at any thing under 55. Note: it drives great at speed, just the wind noise problem.

Sorry you're having problems. We've had ours since November '03, and it's smooth and quiet at all speeds. Definitely keep on the dealer! If it's making that much noise there is a problem! Good luck.

-X-

I called Lexus in Torrance and they say they will have a senor teck person get together with my service people at the dealer where I got my car. I spoke to the dealer manger that was out when my car was looked at, and he said that there must some thing wrong with the seals on the window. If said there are some problems with the cars like the clunking I have read postings on, but this much wind noise is not one of them. He said if it was, he would have had a long line of customers returning there GX for this fix.

So l hope they can get right. If you have a non wind noisy car, please post that.

Thanks,

Bob Burton

Hi,

I got a new 04 GX470 in December and when driving it home from the dealer I herd wind noise that sound like a window was not closed. I call the service department and they said they would look into it when they do my 1,000MI service. I just got it back and they say that this is a normal amount of wind noise. They say the mirrors are big and that is the way it is. There is no way this is right. I told them if they can not fix it I wanted my money back. $48,000. is a bit of money not to have the Lexus quality that I except. It is really noisy at 65 and you need the stereo up just to drowned out the noise of the wind. I am not a virgin to cars as I am 50 years old and have a stable of 5 cars including Porsche Carrera, Acura MDX, Acura RL, VW beattle, Toyota 4 runner. If I wanted noise I clould of goten SUV from the USA.

Please any help. I am ready to go to battle with Lexus if they keep saying this is just the way this SUV is.

Thanks,

Bob Burton - Los Angeles

818 8907866 - burtonplastics@mail.com

Even when driving in the mid-eighties this vehicle is comfortable and reasonably quiet. Very quiet up to sixty and a bit noiser at higher speeds. With such a large profile you expect a bit more noise. It is comparable to the wind noise I get in my Audi A6.

Below 55 the noise level is very, very low. The ride is always smooth and stable.

I bought a gx470 last week, i am noticing the same problem.

just over 55 mph, i could feel lot of wind turbulence noise...

The noise level ofcourse goes down a bit if i let air recirculate....

It certainly doesn't feel like a window sealant problem.... ( i mean wind noise is

not focussed but generally coming from all around the vehicle windshield area... )

The service guy who took it for a ride, did admit to the problem, but says don't

really know what to do...

I also checked whether the luggage racks are pointed correctly....

Is there any specific soundproofing i could ask them to look for....

I called the lexus customer support line, they claim they don't have such a problem reported...

Otherwise i am generally happy with the rest of the vehicle.

-jlogan

• 2 weeks later...

I called the lexus customer support line, they claim they don't have such a problem reported...

Otherwise i am generally happy with the rest of the vehicle.

-jlogan

After the dealer reviewed my car a second time, they say the wind noise is in all of the GX. They gave me the keys too a brand new GX and I drove it a freeway speeds and it was noisy.

This amount of noise is the same as if you where on the phone with a person and there was a third person on the phone blowing in the phone. I called corporate and they got back to me with the word that there is nothing wrong with my GX and that is the way they are. I have asked if they would participate in giving me a lower price on a LS430 if I trade my 1,600 mi car in on it or a lower price on a pre owened LS430. They say at the customer service level they are done with this issue.

They are trying to blow me off. I said I will need to move to there PR people. This was a very easy fix for Lexus as it would have been a win win deal for them. They made money on the GX and they can make money on the LS430 and I will go away happy. This problem of the wind noise was called in at 50 miles on my GX after I drove home on the freeway. All people need to drive this GX on the freeway to see if they can live with the level of wind at 60 or 70 MPH.

The reviews on this GX do not deal with the wind sound at 60 MPH. Bad press can hurt there sales just the way good press can help it. Not very happy with corporate but I am happy with the dealer and every thing on my GX except the sound level on the freeway. It really is a fine machine. If I want wind noise, I can drive my Porsche Carrera with the top down.

I will keep you posted.

Bob Burton

Sad to hear that they wouldn't work with you.

When I test drove in Dec. I noticed that the wind noise is much louder than my X5 and the Aviator I tested. I just couldn't justify buying a Lexus that's loud. So I decided to wait and see if they improve it in MY 05.

Sad to hear that they wouldn't work with you. 

When I test drove in Dec.  I noticed that the wind noise is much louder than my X5 and the Aviator I tested.  I just couldn't justify buying a Lexus that's loud.  So I decided to wait and see if they improve it in MY 05.

Tale of the duct tape.

I put duct on the window and took a drive on the freeway. It sounded much quieter to me and one of my workers at my factory. We stopped off the freeway and took the duct tape off the window and went right back on the freeway. The noise was very loud at 75.

Called corporate and there answer was that was the way the cars are and if they come up with a fix, they will put it in the new card. They say this info will go to the engineer and be put in there suggestion box. I said, funny that my car will have duct tape on the window with a sine saying Lexus will not fix it. I drive through Beverly Hills every day and that will stand out nicely to help in there sales.

The truth is I will will go for the black silicone fix here at my factory. I am in the plastics biz for 30 years and am very good at this and will let you know how my finished job comes out.

Bob

From what I hear the GX has been a nightmare for Lexus all the way around...

I know of one person who had serious wind noise like you on al LS430, and it wound up the windshield was not seated correctly, once they re-seated it the noise level was what it should be.

I have not driven a GX myself so I can't say...

• 2 weeks later...

I have 120 miles on an "E" build GX with KDSS. The truck has been up to 75 MPH and there is no appreciable increase in the noise level compared to 55 MPH. I have to say it's no louder at these speeds than the GS400 with Toyo 17 inch, Z rated tires, which are very quiet. My GX has the rear spoiler and I am wondering if this makes any difference as far as noise on non spoiler trucks. The audio volume was turned all the way down so none of the outside noise was masked. In fact, the third row seats have been removed, which might absorb even more sound. As a side note, the backup camera is really impressive. The lens is like a fish eye lens to get the wide field of vision. Also, it was surprising to me that the camera sees at least thirty feet behind the bumper.

I have 120 miles on an "E" build GX with KDSS.  The truck has been up to 75 MPH and there is no appreciable increase in the noise level compared to 55 MPH.  I have to say it's no louder at these speeds than the GS400 with Toyo 17 inch, Z rated tires, which are very quiet.  My GX has the rear spoiler and I am wondering if this makes any difference as far as noise on non spoiler trucks.  The audio volume was turned all the way down so none of the outside noise was masked.  In fact, the third row seats have been removed, which might absorb even more sound.  As a side note, the backup camera is really impressive.  The lens is like a fish eye lens to get the wide field of vision.  Also, it was surprising to me that the camera sees at least thirty feet behind the bumper.

I have just ordered the rear spoiler for mine. I hold no hope for the noise, but it should look cool. I have factory wheels in chrome and it really set off the look ($560. exchanged with labor balanced- Al Reed Polishing in Anaheim CA, / He does all my Porsche wheels, he is one of the best there is) . I will deal with the black silicone and the windshield leak next week. Just back from Germany where I had a 528 BMW wagon for the week. ( no wind noise) at 140KM what ever that is.

Bob

• 3 weeks later...
I put duct  on the window and took a drive on the freeway. It sounded much quieter to me and one of my workers at my factory. We stopped off the freeway and took the duct tape off the window and went right back on the freeway. The noise was very loud at 75.

Called corporate and there answer was that was the way the cars are and if they come up with a fix, they will put it in the new card. They say this info will go to the engineer and be put in there suggestion box. I said, funny that my car will have duct tape on the window with a sine saying Lexus will not fix it. I drive through Beverly Hills every day and that  will stand out nicely to help in there sales.

The truth is I will will go for the black silicone fix here at my factory. I am in the plastics biz for 30 years and am very good at this and will let you know how my finished job comes out.

Bob

What a horror story! I am glad that I looked here before plunking down my money. Duct tape!

I was going to put down the money for a GX470 w/DVD option the minute I test drove it briefly as it is significantly better than the BMW X5 and Volvo XC90 in the following respect:

1. Way more quieter engine.

2. Fit and finish.

3. Door slam test.

4. My wife loved it, etc.

I have been in the plastics business for 15+ years and know my own quality systems. Reading the issue here with wind noise here is clearly manufacturing defect - as oppose to a design defect - as per some of the other posts here with rear axle and smelly air conditioning.

What I can say? Thanks for the posts here and I thought I better take a longer test drive - including freeway speeds.

I put duct  on the window and took a drive on the freeway. It sounded much quieter to me and one of my workers at my factory. We stopped off the freeway and took the duct tape off the window and went right back on the freeway. The noise was very loud at 75.

Called corporate and there answer was that was the way the cars are and if they come up with a fix, they will put it in the new card. They say this info will go to the engineer and be put in there suggestion box. I said, funny that my car will have duct tape on the window with a sine saying Lexus will not fix it. I drive through Beverly Hills every day and that  will stand out nicely to help in there sales.

Bob

What a horror story! I am glad that I looked here before plunking down my money. Duct tape!

I was going to put down the money for a GX470 w/DVD option the minute I test drove it briefly as it is significantly better than the BMW X5 and Volvo XC90 in the following respect:

1. Way more quieter engine.

2. Fit and finish.

3. Door slam test.

4. My wife loved it, etc.

I have been in the plastics business for 15+ years and know my own quality systems. Reading the issue here with wind noise here is clearly manufacturing defect - as oppose to a design defect - as per some of the other posts here with rear axle and smelly air conditioning.

What I can say? Thanks for the posts here and I thought I better take a longer test drive - including freeway speeds.

The Black Silicone Fix

Well I was very carefully and put black silicone in the gap area at the top of the windshield top right and left. You will see a gap there if you look. I see it on all cars. The windshield trim and seal is raised a little in this area. It is on all cars that I have seen in California. Put silicone in this gap area ( squeeze it in deep under the lip) and then put duct tape on it till it dries. This holds the trim down and the silicone in the gap stops a lot of the noise. Not all, but a big improvement. After a day, take the tape of and you will see that the trim and seal is now not a bump up at the top of the windshield.

So with this fix I do love my GX. Did a long 3 hour trip at 75, all was good. What *BLEEP*es me off is Lexus does not care that there is an easy fix. They just blow me off when this is so easy for them to deal with at the dealer level.

Bob Burton

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I just did my 1k service on gx470 and i suggested that the service folk look at the windshield positioning, they came back and said that they tested it with an air compressor and that there is no gap....

any ideas?

Std disclaimer : I like everything about this vehicle, but on long rides, the wind noise is really high enough to make us talk louder....

-Jer

I don't think this an air leak issue. If the other person's fix worked, than it is a gap issue of wind running over a turbulence point (i.e. blowing across a bottle opening). It could be a matter of the dealership adjusting the window trim. If they don't make it worse though. I do not have a wind issue, it could be you have one that needs to be adjusted.