Rx450h - Digital Tv

Buk

I was cruising around YouTube and stumbled across this video of a gentleman, apparently in Japan, getting a RX450h as a loaner while his car is being serviced. He created this video showing the interior and exterior of the RX demo'ing some of the features.

One of those features was digital TV. Also on the dash you can see a slot to insert your mini-disc. It looks more like a slot to insert a mini DV tape than it does a disc. Maybe the disc is in a cassette.

I wonder if the TV is locked out while you're driving?

<

It looks like the MiniDisc player in that RX video is designed to accept minidisc cartridges. You can read about MiniDisc technology here: http://wapedia.mobi/en/MiniDisc

Even though MiniDisc has not been available here, apparently nav systems on US Lexus models support MiniDisc since VAIS uses MiniDisc emulation for its integration products -- iPod, sat radio, etc.

I remember when MiniDisc was briefly hot in the U.S. and some "experts" said that MiniDisc would quickly replace Compact Disc. Ha!

TV has been available in many Lexus and Toyota vehicles since about "forever". I think the Celsior (Japan market LS400) had TV available from the beginning in 1989. TV was available in the Toyota Century limo long before that.

You can view some TV system components for Japanese Lexus and Toyota models in diagrams and parts lists at http://www.toyodiy.com/