Strange Brief Noise When Starting '04 Ls

stevey425

Just bought this baby from an old retired dude down in San Diego. Love the car...it's in great condition, however I've just started noticing a short "buurrrraammp" sound right after the motor starts. Listen for yourselves--check out my video. Perhaps someone has experienced this condition and can let me know what system is affected and if I should be concerned.

Thanks, Steve

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6d0VyY4ACE

does it make this noise every single time you start it hot and or cold/>?

have you tried starting with the ac turned off?

could be a timing belt tensioner letting the timing belt chatter,possible waterpump siezing

very strange indeed need to listen with the hood open and try to find a general location of where the noise is coming from, could help alot

I hear two sounds that are off. The squeaking immediately after startup and continuing can be a belt or pulley and can be easily determined. The second is a delayed "flutter" like sound. Easy to speculate but better to determine the source by locating it. A "mechanics stethoscope" would be usefull here.

I had exactly the same noise, not to worry, Just replace the following parts in order.

Parts Needed:

■Timing belt ~$52

■Water pump ~$155

■No.1 idler pulley ~$98

■No.2 idler pulley ~$62

■Timing belt tensioner ~$40

■Thermostat - ~40$

Optional Parts to Replace:

■Spark plugs

■Spark plug wires

■Distributors

■Rotors

■Drive belt

■Air filter

You will peace of mind, after that. A new lease of life to the car.

Don't just throw parts at it...diagnose it and fix the problem part(s). And experienced mechanic may be needed if you can't find the cause yourself. Throwing parts at the problem does not give a new lease on life, no matter what anyone wants to sell you.

And please post your findings here!

• 2 weeks later...

My 04 LS430 is making the exact same noise. It is definitely A/C related, because if you start the car without the A/C on (note: having the climate controls on 'Auto' is the same thing as having the A/C on) - you will not hear the sound - but you will hear the sound when you turn on the A/C or press the 'Auto' button.

I also would like to fix this problem but I am not willing to replace a bunch of crap that isn't broke to fix it.

Anybody else have fix to this problem that specifically addresses this problem?

Thanks

FoF

There are three distinct sounds: engine (normal), serpentine belt (squeaky) and a "machine gun-like" burst that goes away.

The machine-gun burst is the worrisome noise. It sounds to me like it might be related to the A/C compressor/clutch or power steering pump.

Since you are most likely going to replace the serpentine accessory belt(you ARE, aren't you? hint, hint) because of the squeak, I would be tempted to take the belt off,

then start the engine (only let it run briefly). If the machine gun is still there, we can rule out anything run by the belt. Conversely, if the noise is gone,

you can concentrate on accessories.

There are three distinct sounds: engine (normal), serpentine belt (squeaky) and a "machine gun-like" burst that goes away.

The machine-gun burst is the worrisome noise. It sounds to me like it might be related to the A/C compressor/clutch or power steering pump.

Since you are most likely going to replace the serpentine accessory belt(you ARE, aren't you? hint, hint) because of the squeak, I would be tempted to take the belt off,

then start the engine (only let it run briefly). If the machine gun is still there, we can rule out anything run by the belt. Conversely, if the noise is gone,

you can concentrate on accessories.

Very good advice!