Buying A Lx?

T4RBoarder

So I have just found a 2000 LX470 for sale w/118k miles for 12k. It looks like a pretty good deal and has seemed to have the necessary maintenance completed but I have a few questions before going to check it out:

1. Since it is a 2000 I have heard about transmission failures and bad exhaust manifolds...this one has had both replaced by the lexus dealer under extended warranty, should I be good to go? The tranny has been maintained since new.

2. We have a 98 LC right now but I am new to the whole AHC system. I have read about bad actuators and the need to flush the fluid in the system but everything has confused me. What is essential to look for when I inspect it?

3. There is a spot in the pictures on the rear tailgate of an area that either looks like fading clear coat or wax residue...what do you guys think it is?

4. Anything else you think I should know?

865522773.jpg

865522517.jpg

865522403.jpg

Cars for Sale: 2000 Lexus LX 470 4x4 in Indianapolis, IN 46240: Sport Utility Details - 268921340 - AutoTrader.com

So I have just found a 2000 LX470 for sale w/118k miles for 12k. It looks like a pretty good deal and has seemed to have the necessary maintenance completed but I have a few questions before going to check it out:

1. Since it is a 2000 I have heard about transmission failures and bad exhaust manifolds...this one has had both replaced by the lexus dealer under extended warranty, should I be good to go? The tranny has been maintained since new.

2. We have a 98 LC right now but I am new to the whole AHC system. I have read about bad actuators and the need to flush the fluid in the system but everything has confused me. What is essential to look for when I inspect it?

3. There is a spot in the pictures on the rear tailgate of an area that either looks like fading clear coat or wax residue...what do you guys think it is?

4. Anything else you think I should know?

865522773.jpg

865522517.jpg

865522403.jpg

Cars for Sale: 2000 Lexus LX 470 4x4 in Indianapolis, IN 46240: Sport Utility Details - 268921340 - AutoTrader.com

Damn, is our economy sunken to an all new low ? How in the hell can you buy a car that retailed somewhere in the 50k range for this price ?

I'd test drive it and if the suspension is smooth then you're good to go. Also put the height on "hi" and then "lo" and make sure it will do both. You will know if the accumulators are bad as it will sit in the lowest position and bounce like crazy. The upkeep of the system is not expensive. Only when parts need to be replaced. Getting the system flushed costed me at the dealership like, 30 bucks. And I've heard typically the accumulators last around 10 years or 100k miles. My 98 LX470 is past both of those marks and the system is still in perfect working order. When the accumulators go "flat" you are looking at around 800 dollars a peice, and there are 4....one for each wheel.

• 7 months later...

I'd test drive it and if the suspension is smooth then you're good to go. Also put the height on "hi" and then "lo" and make sure it will do both. You will know if the accumulators are bad as it will sit in the lowest position and bounce like crazy. The upkeep of the system is not expensive. Only when parts need to be replaced. Getting the system flushed costed me at the dealership like, 30 bucks. And I've heard typically the accumulators last around 10 years or 100k miles. My 98 LX470 is past both of those marks and the system is still in perfect working order. When the accumulators go "flat" you are looking at around 800 dollars a peice, and there are 4....one for each wheel.

I bought a 2006 model lx470 with 40Ks and the ride is as rough as bags. All four actuators were recently replaced but still no joy. the ride is very rough. every bump in the road can be felt. Any suggestions? sensors might be a problem?

I bought a 2006 model lx470 with 40Ks and the ride is as rough as bags. All four actuators were recently replaced but still no joy. the ride is very rough. every bump in the road can be felt. Any suggestions? sensors might be a problem?

maybe the comfort switch? try turning the switch all the way to the left(soft) and than all the way to the right(Stiff), which should have quite a difference.

And since the LX is body on frame, there's a different kind of stiffness, mostly felt when at slow speed and/or going through speed bumps in an angle at the parking lot. Usually bumps left and right.