1997-2001 Es300 Quick Questions

Floor_It!

In wake of my family likely getting the RX350, and considering the declining situation of my Cadillac Seville, I've been thinking long and hard about trading it in and getting a used third generation ES300. We already have a 2003 ES300 and have been extremely happy with it, so generally I know what to expect from a Lexus. I do however have a few questions I'd like to ask.

1) As I said, I'm looking at third generation 1997-2001 with between 50,000-80,000 miles. It seem's like these can go anywhere from $6,000 to $10,000. Realistically, what should I expect to pay for one in good to excellent condition?

2) Generally, how many miles and/or years can I expect to squeeze out of this car? I've heard stories of 200,000+ from these, and with 105,000 on our 2003 ES300 I don't really doubt it, but I'd like to hear from some of you who have actually gotten a lot out of theirs.

3) Is there any specific issue's I should be looking for when I go to look at and test drive some of these used vehicles? Any years to stay away from?

4) How is the performance of these third generation ES300's? Very Importantly, how do they handle in the snow?

5) I'm going to be paying specific attention to checking out these ES300's when I go down to Florida in early January to visit relatives. Not to generalize, but it seems there are tons of old folks who trade in hardly used Lexus's with low miles (I can think of two of my grandmothers friends off the top of my head). Is there anything I should be particularly aware of then when visiting Florida used car dealerships?

6) Lastly, If I do purchase it in Florida, I'll be driving it back up to Massachusetts. Any reason I shouldn't take a long trip like that with it right away (it's not a new car so to speak)?

Much, Much thanks for your time,

Marcus

Hi Floor_it,

While i hate to admit it, i just passed up a 98' just like one that i already own for 6K... It was in near pristine condition, original owner. He hit a deer, and it did have some front end damage that he had taken care of, but looking the car over extremely well, i couldnt find any trace of a problem. This car had 98,000 miles on it. I think that this was a very good price on the car. They guy lost his job and was looking to do whatever he could to get some cash. I think it could have easily went for 8K.

As far as miles you can expect, I have over 242,000 on the odometer on our 98 ES300, and 239,000 on our 92 ES300! Brakes, tires, Sparkplugs, and wires has all that i have done to either of them until just this weekend i had a problem with the EGR Vacuum control valve... I took it apart cleaned it out, and put it back together for a total cost of ..... NOTHING! (other than my time of course) These cars have been absolute GEMS... i bought both of them used with 18K on the 92, and 30K on the 98. I have been very conciencious about keeping the oil changed and use synthetic oil. Also have changed the Tranny fluid at 100K intervals. The 92 is now our backup car, as the clearcoat started to flake on the roof, and just doesnt look nice... the 98' is my wifes daily driver and she commutes 130 miles each day to work (hence the high mileage on both cars).

Some things to look for would be the LCD's on the heater control, and the Radio... (I will be replacing the radio LCD in our 98 this weekend), and the backlights that allow you to read the heater controls at night seem to burn out at this age (although i dont have either problem with my 92)... I would also ask for maintenece records, specifically to see if the timing belt/water pump has been changed yet. Techincally you shouldnt let them go over about 100k but i replace the 92 at 220K, and the 98 has not been changed yet. Another thing to look at is try to see if the rear valve cover gasket (against the firewall) is leaking. It is a common problem. My 92 needs replaced, but the 98 has no evidence of leaking whatsoever yet...

As far as performance, they run really strong. And provided the struts are in good shape, and the swaybar bushings are in good shape, the cars handle pretty well on the curves too, IMHO... As far as traction in snow, of course they are front wheel drive, so that makes a huge difference. The tires will be the main factor in that. On our 92 i put a set of cheaper "douglas" tires on it from Walmart LOL.. (again, just a backup car) and they are actaully very good in the snow. Better than the Michelins on the 98'.. I think you will be happy with how it does in the snow. Again, wife drives 130 miles per day and we are in West central ohio and see our fair share in the winter.

As for driving the car cross country, I wouldnt be afraid of it at all, so long as the car hasnt set for a long time (like 6mos-a year)... Lots of wierd things happen from cars sitting for long periods of time...

Another good place to pick up Lexus vehicles for less seems to be Texas... I am really not sure why, but that is where i bought the 98'.. Drove it home to ohio with zero problems, and it was a nice drive at that. When you do purchase from florida and Texas, note that they dont normally have seat heaters, or mirror heaters on them. That was an oversight on our 98'... the wife really misses the heated seats in the winter. Our 92 has them and boy do they do the trick quickly on those cold jan-feb mornings!

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

Ron

Exactly what I was looking for Ron, thanks. I agree with you on the LED lights, we have a few out on our '03 ES300. I'm happy to hear that you've had such good luck with yours, that milage is impressive. And I didn't think of the heated seats being missing, were they not standard on the third generation ES? I have them on my Seville and I agree they are very nice, but if I found (hypothetically) the perfect ES300 which didn't have heated seats, I think I'd live without them, haha.

After doing a bit more looking around I really like the 2001 ES300 (last year of the third gen). It seems I could snag one with 50-75k miles for between $8-10K. BTW, did that year have halogen headlights?

Marcus,

My wife's last ES was a 97 that she put 269 000 km (167 000 mi) until we traded it on her present 04 ES330. That 97 ran flawlessly all those years with not one trip to the dealership except for a timing belt replacement at 100 km.

The only thing ever to cause us problems, other than routine maintenance, was the left front turn signal bulb socket. Every 6 months like clockwork the left side turn signals would start to flash at double to triple the flash rate of normal. The fix was to remove the bulb and stretch the contacts inside the socket to make a tighter fit to the bottom of the bulb contacts. Whenever the contacts lost tension, the resistance in the circuit went up and the bulbs started to flash much quicker than normal. I guess I could have simply replaced the offending socket and been done with it, but spending time in the garage with my toys was worth it.

Good Luck on finding a nice one. You shouldn't be disappointed if you can find a cream puff.

I've got the 97 ES and love it... absolutely no problems to speak of and I'm around 235K. Last summer I did replace the engine though, only because I was late in changing the timing belt and it broke, wrecking my engine... quick way to turn an $800 job into a $4,000 job :( The "new" engine came with only 60K on it so needless to say I'll be riding this baby for a while.

Loyal Lex... I'm curious though, the backlights on my climate control and gear shift have been out for some time and I'm hoping to fix it... any ideas?

Also, I too encountered a problem with the left turn socket in the front just yesterday as a matter of fact... opened it up and extended the contacts so that they connect with the bottom and sides of the bulb. Quick hint... whenever your bulb is blinking double time that means the circuit is broken (either no contact as described above, or the bulb itself is out). Also, this morning I had to pay $50 to replace fuse b/c coins from the holder to the left of the steering fell down in the back and shorted something or the other.

Most of the cost was diagnostics and labor because I couldn't figure it out myself... the fuse wasn't under the hood it was down somewhere by the hood release apparently. The short took out my hazard, turn and taillights.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to have not posted back sooner, been busying with end of semester papers and five finals. Anyhow, your posts have NOT been in vain. I have found a very nice ES300 and am going to take a serious look at it in person this Saturday. Low mileage, one owner, all options minus a CD changer. I'm pretty excited to say the least.

Which brings me to my next and really preemptive question; It seems from the listing that the car is wired for the 6 disc CD changer which was optional on the 97-01 ES300, but on this particular vehicle is was not installed although the dash has the buttons for CD functions. Doing just a bit of simple research it seems that it was a Pioneer unit that was installed in the glove box for that generation. If the car is indeed lacking one I would like to install the unit. Is it a simple job whereby I just "plug and play" plus a few screws, or is it more complicated? I guess I also need to find out whether the car was fitted for the base Pioneer or the upgraded Nakamachi unit.

I'd also like to put in an automatic garage door opener unit, the type that is fitted for the car, a Homelink model is the correct one I believe. I looked all over online but can't find a single one, which I find to be unbelievable. Could someone point me towards one, otherwise I'd need to sift through junk yards.

Lastly, I want to direct wire my radar detector. On my current Cadillac I spliced and soldered into the power line for the garage door opener, which provided adequate power supply and a good location for the detector (up near the rear view mirror). On these Lexus's, whats the best source to tap into, garage door opener, sunroof etc. and how difficult is it going to be pulling down the padding up there to get at the wires (would hate to split or crack the molding on it right away)?

Much thanks. I will report back Saturday.

• 2 months later...

@Aikibro

you mentioned your timing belt broke at around 230K miles...? was that the original belt?

I am on my 2nd timing belt and am at 250K.. first one was changed at 100K. I would change it, i just don't have $500 right now. SO I'm curious if your belt that broke was the first or 2nd.

...AND I thought the 97 model was an interference free model, meaning an egine replacement was not necessary if the belt broke, am I wrong...?

Get the newest ES 300 (2000 - 2001) you can afford...make sure you have all service records up to date (due to the engine gelling issue - and consider switching to synthetic oil moving forward) & get yourself a good set (of 4) winter tires (which I am happy to recommend as I use to own the same car). Have it mechanically inspected & if all that passes with flying colors...find a the color you want. Good luck!

:cheers:

@ Loyal_Lexinator

you mentioned your 98 ES300 98 has 239,000 miles on it. Have you replaced the timing belt on it? or is it on the original belt?

I have 250k miles and on the 2nd belt, just wondering b/c I can't replace it now.

Thanks

It is the original belt. Still going strong at about 245K Miles. My 92 broke the belt around 230K i think. It didnt hurt the engine, and in fact i was told by a Lexus mechanic that the 98 was interference free as well... If someone could comment on this, that knows for sure i would appreciate it! If it is possible for the valves to hit the pistons, i will change the belt much sooner than planned... I am targeting early summer to take it out of commission for a weekend to do it myself.

Hope this helps,

Ron

• 5 months later...

@Aikibro

you mentioned your timing belt broke at around 230K miles...? was that the original belt?

I am on my 2nd timing belt and am at 250K.. first one was changed at 100K. I would change it, i just don't have $500 right now. SO I'm curious if your belt that broke was the first or 2nd.

...AND I thought the 97 model was an interference free model, meaning an egine replacement was not necessary if the belt broke, am I wrong...?

Sorry it's taken me this long to reply... I need to change my settings so that I know when there is a response to this thread.

I'm not sure if the timing belt was original. I bought the car from my sister in July 2005 and ran it for three years almost to the day until the belt broke. Unfortunately I didn't pay attention to the odometer when I bought it... didn't transfer to my name until long after so the mileage on th title doesn't accurately reflect what it was when I started driving it.

I was told in January of 2008 that I needed to change the timing belt and dickered with fixing it b/c I didn't have the money to. Boy did I ever wish I did. And I guess the 97 is an "interference" model... because from what the guys at Aamco told me, the broken belt is what caused me to wreck my engine. Once my belt broke I didn't know what had happened and I continued to try and drive the car. Now maybe that is what did the damage and not the actual breaking of the belt... or maybe once the belt broke everything inside the engine went kapooey... I dunno.

---------------------------------------

Funny story... I totally forgot about that post I made so I'm scrolling thru and reading w/o seeing who the poster is. I get to mine and I'm like... "WOW... that's so 100% what happened to me too" LOL

My one annual "duh" moment.