Remote Programming Confusion

SoCalRX300

I've read a "gazillion" threads here on LOC about programming the remote for my 2002 RX300. It appears there are two "phases" to the programming, if I'm reading correctly. The first phase is to get the remote to lock/unlock the doors, etc. The second phase is to get the car to recognize the transponder so that the car will start when the key is turned.

My question is this: If I buy a used remote on eBay, what do I need to do (besides getting a new key cut)? In other words, do I need to do both steps -- getting the remote to open the doors AND getting the car to recognize the transponder, or does the car automatically recognize the transponder?

FWIW, I have one remote key, the valet key, and the "credit card" key, and they all work fine. I just want to get another remote key and don't want to pay the "stealership" a fortune in the process. Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks, all!

Scott

To answer your question, if you buy a used remote off ebay you have to do both programming phases for it to work. But the key blade portion that comes with the remote will already be cut for another car and will not turn in your locks or ignition. So I am not sure exactly you plan to accomplish with this method.

Easiest way to get another remote key is to buy one from sparecarkeys.com or similiar site for about $150. This includes the electronics and the blade cut to your VIN. Then do the 2 programming phases and you are good to go.