First Time Lexus Onwer

We bought our first Lexus yesterday- an 09 IS250. Having waited until later in the year I think we did pretty good, but didn't get everything we could have.

Is the Platinum Shield (Paint protector, Fabric protector, Leather Protector) worthwhile buying? We held off on all options so as to keep our cost down as much as possible.

The dealer tried to offer us what they tough was a good deal by cutting the price in half and not charging us tax. The original price was $2495 for 5 years, but he offered $1250 (without tax). I just don't know if this is a good deal or not.

One thing we missed out on by buying a model later in the year is tinted windows. We took the model as is because the price was good price with the options.

I didn't think to ask at the time, but can dealers add easily window tinting? Is the quality good?

Have any of you ever had to purchase an extra key/remote? I'm guessing these cost a few hundred$ or so.

Thanks

Congrats on your car, what colour did you get? I just got mine in August in silver!

Anyways, take a look at this: http://www.insideline.com/car-news/10-tips...-a-new-car.html

According to this, you shouldn't get ANYTHING other than the actual car from a car dealer.

I'm gonna have to agree to this because I actually got the paint/leather protection package and paint/rust warranty for my car.

Within 2 weeks, my mom scratched my car while backing into the garage (very slight scratches on the edge of the body at the right/rear wheel)

I took it to Lexus and they said that this is not covered in the warranty.............then what is??!

So I cleaned it up myself, waxed it, and touch-up-painted it.

Now it looks fine, slight scratch on the metallic part and a bit of a longer scratch on the plastic bumper part.

So from what I hear and my experiences, I think dealers honestly just trick your money from these things. All these warranty packages, etc. When something DOES happen, they try every way they could to make you into believing it is not covered.

So as that website states, there's nothing you can't do elsewhere for a cheaper price!

P.S. I want to do tinting on mine as well! Anybody know of any good places in TORONTO??!

We bought our first Lexus yesterday- an 09 IS250. Having waited until later in the year I think we did pretty good, but didn't get everything we could have.

Is the Platinum Shield (Paint protector, Fabric protector, Leather Protector) worthwhile buying? We held off on all options so as to keep our cost down as much as possible.

The dealer tried to offer us what they tough was a good deal by cutting the price in half and not charging us tax. The original price was $2495 for 5 years, but he offered $1250 (without tax). I just don't know if this is a good deal or not.

One thing we missed out on by buying a model later in the year is tinted windows. We took the model as is because the price was good price with the options.

I didn't think to ask at the time, but can dealers add easily window tinting? Is the quality good?

Have any of you ever had to purchase an extra key/remote? I'm guessing these cost a few hundred$ or so.

Thanks

My experience has been that dealer-applied protectants are huge profit centers. I bought one once and realized that the "paint protection" was no more than a wax, and that the internal protectors were heavy-duty versions of ScotchGuard. We have leather seats in my wife's 2000 Avalon, and all they get is an occasionaly application of a leather conditioner. Almost anything on the carpets can be cleaned with a carpet cleaner. Even at half price, I'd say it's a rip.

I had after-market tinting applied to a previous car that I had for six years, and never had any problems. Look for a reputable dealer with a good guarantee against bubbling and peeling.

I wouldn't do it either. I gave in on my last car for the 'warranty' aspect but have heard several people say that basically nothing actually gets covered. I know that on my MINI the '5 year protectant' was just a cheap paste wax hastily applied (just had to look at the plastic trim stains to see it ;) ) That's a lot of money to pay for a $5 wax and some scotch guard. I gave in with my Lexus and let them 'prep' it for me. Huge mistake, gonna take a good polish in the spring to get out the swirls they put in the paint.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, I got offered paint protectant, interior protectant, the side strips to prevent door dings, and a Lo Jack by the F&I person. All totaled the extra stuff would have been more than $2000. Turned it all down. She then tried to get me to buy the Lo Jack by knocking almost $500 off of the price! That says alot about the profit margin on the F&I offers.

Still turned it down. Walked out of there with only the car. I will be doing the exterior and interior protectant work myself.

It's pure profit--that's why they can offer it 1/2 off. And--they can't "not" charge sales tax--that just means they are charging you even less, and ajusting the price to take into account the sales tax.

If you want to invest more in the car buy the extended warranty.

I would even wait on the extended warranty and shop it around, you have until the original warranty runs out. I think I bought mine at 49500 miles I shopped it on the internet (you can find links to places on this Lexus website) and got a price of $1050 for 7 years/100K. Asked my dealer and they wanted $1700. I asked them to match and they did. There is a huge huge markup on extended warranties, I didn't think it hurt that this dealer knows that I will service it at their dealership. I would say the absolute thing to get immediately is the clear bra before the car meets the road. They wanted $700 at the dealership and I got them to $550. I just didn't want to drive it out of the dealership and risk any paint chip or crap getting on the paint that might screw up the application.

Thanks