Engine Ecu Rebuilder

93ls400walt

All problems have been resolved......alternator needed rebuilt...bad diodes in rectifier & bad brushes, ic regulator also was bad.....battery had a bad cell in it.....battery replaced.....all symptoms have vanished......

Alternator was rebuilt by reputable auto electric shop...$ 120.....I had the Lexus alternator rebuilt...the rebuilt ones from AutoZone or Kragen's are junk......battery was a 8 yr battery that went south after 3 yrs...prorated & replaced for about $ 50.....new fan belt $ 18....The labor for teardown & replacement was free.....my labor....

If anyone is interested in rebuilding their alternator...a good website for alternator parts is

www.transpo-usa.com

Thanks for everyone's help...

fiveofakind

GREAT- I know the feeling of finally it works right.

I would like to say that I had a sour comment on EMC To Go about keeping my ECM. I have to say that after one phone call to them they again were very concerned and helpful. They located my ECM and shipped it 2nd day air. I received it back very carefully packaged. They again have my faith and trust.

I would use their service again without a problem.

• 3 years later...
  • 4 months later...

I bought a used ECM. Said it came from a wrecked ls. for $160.00. ECM-TO-GO say they will test your ECM and replace the bad parts for

$275.00. They told me mine had a pretty bad circuit board. But they rebuilt it and tested it on a ls. And that it still malfunctioned. Then offered to sell me an in-stock rebuilt one for $495.00.

I found one on e-bay and called them to give them a credit card number to pay for shipping my old one back. That was a month ago. I am still waiting. My take on this is everyones ECM is is unrepairable. You buy " one we have in stock " for twice the price. They keep your old one and sell it to someone else.

I know this thread is over three years old, and probably of little use except to a small group or enthusiasts, but it is good info and comes from an ECU expert (not me!) who knows about these things - many ECUs from around '88 through '99 often had capacitors that leaked after several years in service, and the electrolyte leaking onto the circuit boards can corrode the circuitry, causing all sorts of driveability problems.

The good news is that with a little careful soldering and the correct replacement capacitors, the ECU can be restored to its original functionality, if the circuit boards are not damaged already. The key to repairing this is to use the correct capacitors - you will most likely not find the correct ones at your local RadioShack or electronics repair center, or places that you would expect to repair the ECU correctly. The following link - has all the correct capacitors and links to sources for ordering them, if you need to do the job. http://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls400/656360-all-my-crazy-lexus-issues-solved-ecu-leaking-capacitor.html

For my part, I had experienced diverse problems and decided to check my ECU - the caps looked good, but rather than take a chance of them leaking and toasting the boards, I id'd the ones I needed from the link (above), ordered the capacitors from the two companies that stocked these caps - Digikey and Mouser Electronics, spent an afternoon taking the old caps out and soldering in the new ones, and I am happy to say that my '92 is as smooth as silk and no longer has any of the issues I was experiencing! One note of caution, if you decided to do this yourself - follow all the cautions associated with avoiding Electronic Static Discharge (ESD) and look for a short write-up I left on that site regarding the removal of the old caps. The replacement caps total cost is less than $20, in case you wonder about that, so don't stint by trying alternatives or knock-offs!

• 4 years later...

Is ECU Togo in Houston still in operation? I am in Houston and is trying to get my ECM/ ECU repaired.

Car: 1996 LS400

Mileage: 178800

Symtom: Bad bank 1 sensor 2 O2 sensor, replaced and check engine light comes on after 3 hours of driving. Same error code plus error message about bad battery or ECM. Battery is new since Jan 2018 so it could be the ECM.

Any suggestions? Do I replace the ECM with a junk yard ECM or repair the current one. The problem is getting someone local to do the diagnostic on the ECM. ECU Togo in Houston would be a good match. I am willing to pay the diagnostic fee since I am already sunk in several hundred dollars so far. Thank you in advance for your help.

On 2018/4/25 at 1:55 AM, StructureEngr said:

The question I have is:

After someone rebuilds the ECU or I have a rebuilt ECU put in, do I need to have the reprogramming done by the Lexus dealer or another professional mechanic? Thank you in advance.

No. you don't need to do so at all as long as the memory is not changed. But you must teach the ECU your driving habits. All you have to do is just to drive both in the city and the highway.