Replacing Air Filter?

Kwamster

Check for a 10mm bolt somewhere. They can be sneaky about that stuff. Use best judgement, but sometimes it just takes a little bit of force. Don't break it though. Of course, that is how we learn most of the time - so don't be afraid to tear into it either.

• 1 year later...

Am bumping this because I now have the exact same question. Can anybody else be more specific as to what else besides the clamps I need to work to get the air filter cover off?

Also, in between scheduled maintenance, would anybody recommend shop-vac'ing the filter (in reverse direction of air flow) to yank out some of the trappings - ie would this do any good?

(Doing so certainly works for the cabin filter.)

I just bought a new air filter for my RX300. Is there a specific procedure for getting the air filter cover off? I took the clamps off and it only opens part-way.

I changed my 2002 RX300 air filter today. I bought it from Toyota dealer for $24.00. I took off the two clumps and pulled the cover upward and outward ( towards the driver's side) a little bit and had enough space to pull and insert the filter. Did not break anything. Should be a easy job.

• 3 weeks later...

For around twice that money you can buy a K&N air filter that never needs to be replaced - only cleaned with soap and water about once in 50,000 miles. This is a performance air filter and you will actually get a little seat-of-the-pants increase in performance. You can even hear a slight change in the tone of the intake system.

For around twice that money you can buy a K&N air filter that never needs to be replaced - only cleaned with soap and water about once in 50,000 miles. This is a performance air filter and you will actually get a little seat-of-the-pants increase in performance. You can even hear a slight change in the tone of the intake system.

I am using OEM part to ensure that I will not void waranty in case I need it. It is not too expensive: $24/30K. I am not sure what K&N does to the car or the waranty. I heard some bad thing about it, such prolonged use (without wash) can cause oil films and damage MAF senser. My other car is a Cadillac and Cad dealer strongly oppose using K&N.