Using Navi While In Motion W/ Newest Map Dvd

Just put the newest version of the map DVD (came out this/last month - I think it's 9.1, but can't remember) in my 2006 GS300. Technically, my dealer wouldn't let me do it - they said they had to "install it for me" and charged me $7.50. Whatever...hopefully this isn't going to matter at the end of my question.

I'm trying to figure out how to make it so that myself (or my wife for that matter) can use the Navi (and phone, if possible) functions while the car is in motion.

1) I've seen the thread where a forum member cut & spliced a few wires and got his to work.

2) I saw that there was supposedly another way to do it, but couldn't get the link to work.

So, I guess I'm looking for my options. Will the wire splicing method work, regardless of the Navi DVD version? Is there a less invasive way of doing this (I think I've seen someone say there was, but that it was costly) and if so, what is this less-invasive method.

I guess I've searched around on the board and have a LOT of great information, but I'm looking for my bottom line choices here before I start messing around and accidentally screw something up!

I still don't understand why it is that Lexus doesn't allow someone in the passenger seat to use the NAVI - why not put a weight sensor in the passenger seat so that it can only be done when someone is sitting there (just an idea). My wife's Honda Pilot let's her.....and it's a Pilot!

Thanks, in advance for all your help!

Just put the newest version of the map DVD (came out this/last month - I think it's 9.1, but can't remember) in my 2006 GS300. Technically, my dealer wouldn't let me do it - they said they had to "install it for me" and charged me $7.50. Whatever...hopefully this isn't going to matter at the end of my question.

I'm trying to figure out how to make it so that myself (or my wife for that matter) can use the Navi (and phone, if possible) functions while the car is in motion.

1) I've seen the thread where a forum member cut & spliced a few wires and got his to work.

2) I saw that there was supposedly another way to do it, but couldn't get the link to work.

So, I guess I'm looking for my options. Will the wire splicing method work, regardless of the Navi DVD version? Is there a less invasive way of doing this (I think I've seen someone say there was, but that it was costly) and if so, what is this less-invasive method.

I guess I've searched around on the board and have a LOT of great information, but I'm looking for my bottom line choices here before I start messing around and accidentally screw something up!

I still don't understand why it is that Lexus doesn't allow someone in the passenger seat to use the NAVI - why not put a weight sensor in the passenger seat so that it can only be done when someone is sitting there (just an idea). My wife's Honda Pilot let's her.....and it's a Pilot!

Thanks, in advance for all your help!

well i think its a great idea that lexus wont let drivers use the navi while the car is in motion...as for me i had to learn that the hard way...i hit a car while trying to use my navi!!!!! anyways YES i do agree with passenger should be able to use the navi......