Help! Popping Noise When Making Right Turns

amcdonal86

Hi,

I've had this noise for several months that started out very intermittent but is recently getting much more frequent and repeatable. It is a pretty significant popping "sound" that I can also feel with my feet through the floor pan. It is not rhythmic, and it happens repeatedly if I make a right hand turn. It can also happen at speed when driving in a straight line if I suddenly steer to the right (even before the weight of the car seems to transfer to the left side). It appears to be coming from the right front area of the car, and the noise only appears to happen when I am moving.

FYI, the car is a '97 LS400 with about 107,000 miles on it. I have recently replaced the front sway bar bushings, the front strut rods/bushings, and the upper strut mounts. Last time I had everything apart (to replace the upper strut mounts), I checked the resistance of the ball joints on the upper carrier arms and they seemed to offer up a decent amount of resistance. I'm not sure if there are other "ball joints" on the car. :wacko:

Does anyone have any idea what this could be? It almost feels like something is binding up.

Well, I started half of a power steering fluid flush before it got dark outside. This job is a pain in the !Removed!.

By the way, how the hell did you guys get that solenoid nut off? I've pounded it pretty hard for a while, and it's getting kind of messed up.

does yours pop just once when you turn or multiple times as you turn the wheel? It seems for me the more I turn the wheel the more times it pops. Sometimes will driving straight and I try to change lanes or make a sudden turn and It will feel like I don't have PS and its really hard to turn, then after enough pressure it pops and returns to the normal steering feel. Its a little scary sometimes because I have all that pressure on the wheel and then it will pop and turn really quick. This ONLY occurs on below about 40 degree starts and is gone within a few turns of the wheel.