Get That Second Opinion

... So I take my 2001 GS300 to the dealer for it's annual service. I run synthetic oil and I bring my own oil and filter with me (Castrol Syntec). Get a nice loaner car, one of the hybrid models. Later that morning the service rep calls me and recommends that they perform some additional repairs. He says that the front motor mounts on the engine have collapsed and that the rear mount on the transmission has started to sag. Also, he said that it is time to replace the timing belt. I have approximately 80K miles on the car. Motor mount job quote was $870.00 and the timing belt job was quoted at $575.00. Note that there was no mention of replacing the water pump which should be done at the same time as the timing belt.

I said to hold off on the additional work and that I would possibly schedule another appointment. The following week I contact one of the local repair shops that specializes in Lexus and Toyota vehicles. I tell them the story and say that i want to get a second opinion. So I bring the car in, the mechanic raises it up on the lift and takes a look with a drop light. Also checks the transmission mount, I ask if I can look also. He calls over one of the other mechanics .... "Do these motor mounts look collapsed to you?". "Nope". They looked almost new to me. No sign of wear. Mechanic number two says "I don't know how those guys can go home and sleep nights after trying to pull this kind of s**t".

So I say thanks and I'll come in next year to have the water pump and timing belt job done. Mechanic says, not necessary. Bring it in when you have 120K or more miles. Said these cars are built to last ... and they do last.

i know this is long winded, but as mentioned before on this forum .... GET THAT SECOND OPINION ... you are not obligated to have unnecessary work performed by a dealer. I was looking at a $1,500 repair bill if I gave the green light to the Lexus dealer.

Dan Curtis

So I say thanks and I'll come in next year to have the water pump and timing belt job done. Mechanic says, not necessary. Bring it in when you have 120K or more miles. Said these cars are built to last ... and they do last.

Dan Curtis

I hear ya on the mounts and getting that second opinion, but lets do some math on the TB;

If it took you 8 years to get to 80K, it'll take you another 4 years to get to 120K. That's 120K and 12 years in total before doing the TB? Slightly over in both mileage and duration for doing a TB service don't you think? Always good to be skeptical of any "additional repair" items a shop suggests, above what you brought the car in for, especially if you know the condition of your car, but be wary of advice that doesn't "add" up!

Ahh...the wonderful stories of a Lexus Stealership....don't cha' just love 'em!

On the motor mounts. Remember, these are "age" items, not "mileage". I say this, because I too have a 01' GS, with only 60k miles. Mine is the 430 though "heavier engine", but I had to have the motor mounts replaced recently to stop the car from shaking when coming to a stop light while still in "d". It was the classic symptom. These mounts don't "collapse", they either soften up or crack. Mine had simply gone through one too many Chicago weather patterns of freezing in the winter to hot in the summer, and simply softened up too much. If I were you, and not defending the dealership here, but I wouldn't be suprised if some new mounts are in your not-too-distant future, especially given you're coming into your 9th year. Plus, two new motor mounts in a Lexus car probably produces the most significant improvement to the car. I was also getting a slight humming noise through the car, and a little pull in the steering wheel depending on road conditions. Those are now gone too. The only time I can actually hear the engine is under a heavy foot as I pass by the 3,000 rpm level. Then I hear it growl, but barely.

$500 for the timing belt is actually pretty cheap, espeicially for a dealership! I'm in the same boat as you about this too. I'm nowhere near the mileage for a new one, but am in terms of time passed. I'm not going to spend the money on it though.