2002 Es300 Radiator Fluid Change

rlx101

I replaced my coolant when I pulled the waterpump off, I used distiled water and toyota coolant. You should not need to change it if you have less than 100,000 miles on your car, it is a long life coolant. I would suggest buying a coolant specific gravity tester (less than 5 bucks) and check your coolant, it's a little eye dropper with colored balls inside of it.

If none of the above applies then remove the plastic under the front of your car and look for a drain plug in the radiator 99% of radiators have one.

so i just open the drain plug and radiator cap to drain it? is engine supposed to be on or off while doing this?

i've read some people disconnect the hose from the radiator to drain it.. whats that all about?

I replaced my coolant when I pulled the waterpump off, I used distiled water and toyota coolant. You should not need to change it if you have less than 100,000 miles on your car, it is a long life coolant. I would suggest buying a coolant specific gravity tester (less than 5 bucks) and check your coolant, it's a little eye dropper with colored balls inside of it.

If none of the above applies then remove the plastic under the front of your car and look for a drain plug in the radiator 99% of radiators have one.

yes, just open the drain with the radiator cap off, engine cold and not running. you will never be able to get all of the old coolant out, unless you completely disassemble everything(engine included). close the drain and fill with a 50%50% mixture of antifreeze and water. but again i would reccomend you check the quality of the antifreeze you currently have in there, it is very likley that it is just fine..as far as removing the radiator hose to drain the coolant; yes i have done it. it is faster usually a lot messy-er too, most often its because you are replacing the hose or the radiator or even the t-stat.

some of my concerns; how are you going to dispose of the cooland after its removed?it is toxic!

do you have the proper tools and knowledge to perform this task safely?

if you happen to get an air bubble and you over heat your car will you blame me?

should you just take it to a shop that will do it for about 50 bucks and not have to worry about !Removed! up your nice car?

i don't want to come off as being an a$$- hole but you should consider the options...

haha, relax. i never blame other people when smth happens to me.

im past 150kmiles, t-belt/pump was serviced at 100k and i figured it wouldnt be a bad idea to refresh the fluid again. i'll see if i can buy that test first.

regarding fluid disposal: do autozone / advanced auto parts take it? they accept engine oil here, no clue about other fluids though.

yes, just open the drain with the radiator cap off, engine cold and not running. you will never be able to get all of the old coolant out, unless you completely disassemble everything(engine included). close the drain and fill with a 50%50% mixture of antifreeze and water. but again i would reccomend you check the quality of the antifreeze you currently have in there, it is very likley that it is just fine..as far as removing the radiator hose to drain the coolant; yes i have done it. it is faster usually a lot messy-er too, most often its because you are replacing the hose or the radiator or even the t-stat.

some of my concerns; how are you going to dispose of the cooland after its removed?it is toxic!

do you have the proper tools and knowledge to perform this task safely?

if you happen to get an air bubble and you over heat your car will you blame me?

should you just take it to a shop that will do it for about 50 bucks and not have to worry about !Removed! up your nice car?

i don't want to come off as being an a$$- hole but you should consider the options...