Engine Stalls

cjl

I have a 92 sc300 with 95K miles. Every now and then the engine stalls. It starts right back up but then stalls again 5 minutes later. Then seems to run fine for about a week and I go thru the cycle again. Has anyone had similar experience.

A little backgroung...Just purchased a new battery and had the engine serviced w/new timing belt and tune-up about 5 months ago. I purchase premium gas each time I fill-up.

Appreciate any help on this..

cjl,

Do you have a stock intake or an aftermarket one? Did a Lexus dealership install the new timing belt and perform the tune-up?

Did this problem start after the timing belt swap, after the tune-up, after the new battery etc?

:)

There is a fuel pump ecu issue that may be the culprit in your case. There is a way to make it run in high volt mode and if your car does not stall again, that is most likely the problem. I'll see if I can find the info but it is easily found at planetsoarer I think.

cjl, it can either be what AJ said, your fuel pump, but it can also be your igniter. that's the module that controls your sparks, same symptom as a bad fuel pump would have. does your car stall only at stop signs or its spontaneous?

K9Crew. In response to your questions..I do have a stock intake. A Toyota dealer perform the engine service( (tuneup and replace timing belt). Problems started about 4 months after the engine service was done. I purchased the battery after a couple weeks after the engine starting stalling on me.

AWJ.Thanks, I'll take a look at planetsoarer.

BlackSC4. Only stalls when decelerating.

I just bought a 92 sc300, i own a shop and i am planning on doing big things this week..... my car is also doing this same thing, it runs, it stalls, idles low, and also my Battery light is flashing along with the ABS light. The headlights are not bright either. i believe its the alternator or a loose connection, just have not had time to look at it. Any Ideas? Because if the battery is the problem, under charged, then that makes the engine bogg down and run bad check engine light etc. so my guess is charging problem..... any ideas?

thanks- :cheers:

I have a 92 sc300 with 95K miles. Every now and then the engine stalls. It starts right back up but then stalls again 5 minutes later. Then seems to run fine for about a week and I go thru the cycle again. Has anyone had similar experience.

A little backgroung...Just purchased a new battery and had the engine serviced w/new timing belt and tune-up about 5 months ago. I purchase premium gas each time I fill-up.

Appreciate any help on this..

nuttable02lex, I have similar symptoms..Thot it maybe it was the battery or alternator so I had them both checked out at a garage..Alternator checked out fine, my battery was OK but near it's end so I had it replaced.

Im thinking about bringing my sc300 to the toyota dealer and have them take a look. Based on the feedback I got from everyone else and my own experience, I'm inclined to think it has something to do with either the fuel pump/filter or the ecu (which I think has something to do with the computer which regulates the flow of fuel).

Gentlemen, I put the fuel pump ecu information and link in this thread here . Hope this helps. It seems a few of us are having this issue lately. This may or may not be the problem. Just some handy troubleshooting info. Based on what you guys are saying and what I've read about in the past - this is your huckleberry.

It might be as simple as bad fuel. Do you fuel up at the same station? Have you tried some Fuel system/injector cleaner? If you are picking up trash in your fuel, you may be clogging your fuel filter.

I purchased my 93 SC400 from my mother-in-law and the first thing I did was run some fuel system/injector cleaner. There was a noticeable difference in throttle response.

I have a new fuel filter to install, but I am waiting to determine the best way to replace it without the massive fuel leak that everyone seems to experience when they change the filter.

Hey, I'm having the rear main seal replaced next Monday, I'll have my mechanic replace the filter while he has it on the rack.

:cheers:

My '96 LS400 stalls all the time at stoplights, but only after it engages fourth gear. For some reason, my baby doesn't want to come out of fourth gear after cruising, so sputters out at stop lights. My solution: always keep her in third, except cruising.

...or your fuel filter has gone bad : )

I have a new fuel filter to install, but I am waiting to determine the best way to replace it without the massive fuel leak that everyone seems to experience when they change the filter.

Changing the fuel filter on my SC was a HORRIBLE job. I am NEVER going to do that again. I haven't even looked to see if my LS has the same POS flared fitting set up ... but if it does I'm going to install Swagelok fittings and an aftermarket filter. I installed a 30 micron Racor filter on my F-350 that has a screw-in filter element. It's so easy to change the filter ... just unscrew it, screw on a new one and that's it, no fuel anywhere!!

:)

• 3 weeks later...

I have the 93 LS400 model. I started experience the same problem. Engine stall idle at stop. Re-start engine OK. It happen only once in a while. I remeber it starting to have this problem after I running of of gas cuple days ago. I am going to put some injector cleaner later today to see if it clear the problem.

Please advice! Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Feul injector cleaner didn't help. Drove car for two week without turn on the AC, it work fine, no stall. I tried different way to duplicate the problem. I find out it is related to the air conditioning. The engine stalled immediately after the AC is cut off (climate control set to auto mode) at close to idle speed. It also happened on manually turn off the AC at near idle. The RPM rev up a little when the AC is cut off.

Anyone might have a clue?

Thanks.

Check the engine codes first (do a search, pretty simple using a paperclip)

Fuel Pump ECU problem is one of the MOST common problems with the SC and LS. The problem does NOT have an engine code. The fix is SIMPLE, just connecting 2 wires.

Stalling is the common symptom.

If your car does not throw any engine codes, try the fuel pump ecu fix (bypass) first. You will save yourself alot of time and money (my own experience--- tune up, replaced throttle position sensor, cleaned throttle body didn't help. Fuel filter has to be significantly clogged--- not likely, but plausible i guess).

Good Luck.

• 3 years later...