Ls430 Cigarette Smoke

LWR

I have an LS430 that I bought preowned last year.It has this disgusting cigarette smell every time I start it up.I have vacuumed everything every weekend,sprayed odour eliminators on the carpets,through the A/C system,removed and vacuumed both filters but it still persists.I have driven it windows down for hours and tried everything I know.The agent has had it three times and can shed no light.

Is there another filter somewhere or am I missing something??

It just doesn't diminish,even after 6 months.I do not smoke at all.It's as pungent as the day I got it.

Please help!

You have two cabin filters in the vehicle. One for front, one for rear. My 99 LS is located behind the lower glove box behind a "pullout" plastic tab. Your design may be different, as it includes a HEPA system (I think). All of the filter locations should be in the owners manual.

Now, if you get in the car in the AM before you start it - does it smell then? IF not, could be a CAT problem <_<

Also, you have a CHARCOAL CANNISTER probably in the LF under the battery area. This could have gone south .....

Your under warranty, all will be well!

Thanks very much for the prompt response!It does smell as soon as I get in but becomes more intense when the A/C kicks in.I just can't believe how persistent the smell is after 6 months despite everything I've thrown at it.I've got a "dead rat" somewhere that I can't find.

I will go looking thanks to your advice.

I have an LS430 that I bought preowned last year.It has this disgusting cigarette smell every time I start it up.I have vacuumed everything every weekend,sprayed odour eliminators on the carpets,through the A/C system,removed and vacuumed both filters but it still persists.I have driven it windows down for hours and tried everything I know.The agent has had it three times and can shed no light.

Is there another filter somewhere or am I missing something??

It just doesn't diminish,even after 6 months.I do not smoke at all.It's as pungent as the day I got it.

Please help!

hello mate, got a 96 ls, buy a charcoal activated filter just like the one used on room air purifier this comes in sheet like the size of a bond paper her in the US cut it the size of the cabil filter and put it on top of it then reinstall it might help a lot to purify the air fromthe ac, btw use a new cabin filter, just my 2 cent worth,

Definately replace those interior filters...

Cigarette smoke is one of the hardest odors to get out of a car, have cleaned all the ashtrays well?

The only way to perminantly remove it is to have the interior of the car ozone fogged. Look thgrough your yellow pages and find a detailer that specifies in odor removal, he or she should have an ozone machine. They'll seal the car up and let this thing run inside and it will nutralize all the odors. It will smell brand new inside. Shouldnt be too expensive either...

super idea on a charcoal aftermarket item. I have one to check out; this goes on a Kenmore HEPA 130 Air Cleaner[that I have]. The wrap-around charcoal pre-filter[about 10" by 24"--as I remember] is #83155. This is sold by Sears. About 1/4" thick.

I also recommend the ozone fogging. I had a Cadillac (before I saw the light) that was in for repair (of course) and the service tech smoked in my car. Needless to say I was not pleased. The dealer ozoned the interior and it smelled brand new. I was impressed. Give it a try. Since yours seems to be in every nook and cranny, I would make sure that your HVAC system was up and running while it is being ozoned so that the ozone also gets into every nook and cranny of the system.

That info about the ozone is interesting. I never knew that they could do that. Luckily, out of all of my old cars (1990, 1989, 1998 and 1992)- all still have a clean smelling interior. May sound unbelievable, but my Lexus, being a 1990 (14 years old) still smells like a brand new car. Luckily, the previous (original owners) were non-smokers. I would not have bought it if it had not of been.

Good luck with your awful interior smelling problem. Sounds like the ozone is the way to go........

Yeah as long as you keep the Lexus clean inside and dont smoke in it, it will always smell fresh and new. Its the high quality of the materials.

I dont know how well purchasing an ozone machine will work, you need a professional grade machine. I would just call a detailer and have them do the entire interior, shampoo the rugs etc and ozone it. Shouldn't cost but $80 or so.

I dont have the ozone machine but if you weren't halfwar 'round the world I'd do the interior detail for you for free ;)

dump a ton of febreez down the vents then start the heater on full after a few minutes

it sounds like left over soot is in the vents

also get the car detailed by a pro

i use a guy here who removes the seats to get everywhere in the car to clean the carpets

he gets everything out not just a regular wet dry vac clean

super idea on a charcoal aftermarket item. I have one to check out; this goes on a Kenmore HEPA 130 Air Cleaner[that I have]. The wrap-around charcoal pre-filter[about 10" by 24"--as I remember] is #83155. This is sold by Sears. About 1/4" thick.

hello, tansupplyman, youre right about that they sold at sears, change mine every timwe i do my hepa home filter, bicol-ini

• 2 weeks later...

lwr,

Have you checked the charcoal cannister yet. On my 99, it's located up under the battery area - Driver's side, just behind headlights.

since you have 01, you should be under warranty - unless you have 50K+ miles on it. Take it to dealer and they should fix the faulty cannister for free!

Not really an answer, but my uncle is FURIOUS that a Nissan tech decided to smell up his brand new 2003 Nissan Frontier 4WD Supercharged crew cab truck. It only has 17000. He bought it new and it has been in the shop for a vibration for at least 1/2 of its life. They out 800 miles on it just driving it to see that the problem is. Tires replaced 4 times, wheels replaced twice, new rotors, etc. Still has a bad vibration. He had to pick it up, as his 2nd truck broke down. After all of this- he was really livid that they trashed the interior. What is the matter with these people? They did not even give him a loaner, as he took it to another local Nissan dealer- that he did not buy it from. The dealer it was bought from could not fix it, nor could the 3rd local Nissan dealer. Odd, as my dads 88 Nissan truck, with 260K has no vibrations.

Good luck with your problem. Be sure that the dealer techs do not treat your car like their own. :rolleyes: