Annoying Buzzing Noise - Can Anyone Helo?

I have a 2008 RX350 and sometimes I hear a very annoying buzzing sound (kind of sounds like a thin metal on metal vibration noise) coming from the passenger side. It sounds like it is coming from the panel between the front passenger door and the back passenger door where the seat beat comes out of. It is intermittent, but is especially noticeable when driving on the highway and/or driving over road that is a little rough. We heard it almost the entire way back from Florida to Texas. Has anyone had this issue and resolved it??

I would love to have an idea of what it might be before I take it in. As you know, you can never get it to make that sound when you take it in and try to show them!

Thanks for any help!

I have a 2008 RX350 and sometimes I hear a very annoying buzzing sound (kind of sounds like a thin metal on metal vibration noise) coming from the passenger side. It sounds like it is coming from the panel between the front passenger door and the back passenger door where the seat beat comes out of. It is intermittent, but is especially noticeable when driving on the highway and/or driving over road that is a little rough. We heard it almost the entire way back from Florida to Texas. Has anyone had this issue and resolved it??

I would love to have an idea of what it might be before I take it in. As you know, you can never get it to make that sound when you take it in and try to show them!

Thanks for any help!

I am sure you have first checked for lose items under the seats.

What I would do is try to pin down exactly where the noise may be coming from. Move the front passenger seat all the way forward and sit in the back seat. When the noise starts, bend down and check for the noise pressing in on suspecious areas. Also, try lowering the passenger window during the noise...Hope this helps...

Thanks for any help!

What I would do is try to pin down exactly where the noise may be coming from. Move the front passenger seat all the way forward and sit in the back seat. When the noise starts, bend down and check for the noise pressing in on suspecious areas. Also, try lowering the passenger window during the noise...Hope this helps...

I don't know if this helps... I have a 2009RX350. When there is no passenger, the seat belt retracts but the belt (and the bukle) don't lie 'flat' agains tthe passenger seat or the side post. The slight twist means that the buckle 'rattles' against the pst. If you were to pull the seatbelt 'out' a few times and check that it is in the correct position when it retracts, you might eliminate the noise.[i have to do it each time I have had a passenger because - probably due to the seat/back/seatbelt height positions - the seatbelt never retracts in such way that the belt and buckle are 'flat]. Good luck! -- An easy way of testing would be to anchor ('buckle') the buckle and see whether the noise stops.

• 6 months later...

@Did you solve your problem. I hear a similiar noise in my rx 350 2007

Thanks for any help!

I don't know if this helps... I have a 2009RX350. When there is no passenger, the seat belt retracts but the belt (and the bukle) don't lie 'flat' agains tthe passenger seat or the side post. The slight twist means that the buckle 'rattles' against the pst. If you were to pull the seatbelt 'out' a few times and check that it is in the correct position when it retracts, you might eliminate the noise.[i have to do it each time I have had a passenger because - probably due to the seat/back/seatbelt height positions - the seatbelt never retracts in such way that the belt and buckle are 'flat]. Good luck! -- An easy way of testing would be to anchor ('buckle') the buckle and see whether the noise stops.

• 1 year later...

I hear a similar noise in my rx 350 2007. Did you discover the problem?

I have started getting the exact same problem in my 2007 RX350 for past one week and its driving me crazy...any update on it??

Try to tighten the screws and fasteners that hold the door trims (front and back doors)

Also check that the noise isn't coming from something tiny lying in the door pockets.

And check that the trim piece behind the seat belt is securely fastened (I think it's held in place by the door frame rubber seals)

Let us know how you go

• 2 months later...
  • 9 years later...

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a 2009 RX350 Pebble Beach Edition.  It is in very good condition other than this buzzing noise that comes and goes.  It is driving me nuts!  I am wondering if anyone has solved this.  The noise comes and goes and sounds like it may be somewhere behind the dash, or in the center console.  I have checked for loose items etc.  

Thank you!

On 12/20/2020 at 11:40 AM, Dbrown672 said:

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a 2009 RX350 Pebble Beach Edition.  It is in very good condition other than this buzzing noise that comes and goes.  It is driving me nuts!  I am wondering if anyone has solved this.  The noise comes and goes and sounds like it may be somewhere behind the dash, or in the center console.  I have checked for loose items etc.  

Thank you!

I've used a mechanics stethoscope several times to track down interior noises.  They are fairly cheap ... I see one online for about $12.  

Sometimes I've had someone else drive while I probed around the interior with my stethoscope.  The sources of the noises have usually been something rattling around in the center console, glove compartment or door pocket.   The source of a particularly nasty buzz turned out to be a loose setting in a ring on my right hand which was pretty funny - the buzz occurred only when my right hand was on the steering wheel.

Another common source of buzzes are the little servo motors opening and closing flaps in the HVAC system to regulate the interior temperature.  You can eliminate that possibility by turning your HVAC off and seeing of the buzzing stop.  There's not much one can do to stop the buzzing from that since it's considered normal unless it is really loud.

I had a similar issue with an '08 RX350 I purchased about 7 years ago. Turned out to be one of the shields/baffles under the drivers seat. The plastic had deformed just enough to release the panel's pressure on the cabin floor. At certain speeds it would begin vibrating against the floor. 

Another possibility is the brake pad wear indicator. It's easy to test - if the noise goes away when you step on the brake pedal, it is probably the wear indicator, meaning it's time to have the brake pads changed.