Smoke Coming From Manifold

shawn9169

I HAVE A 98 LEXUS ES 300.... WITH 205,000 MILES ON IT ... CAN SOME ONE SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME...... I HAVE WHITE SMOKE COMING FROM TAIL PIPE FROM COLD START. I ALSO HAVE SOME SMOKE COMING FROM MANIFOLD. I CANT FIGURE OUT WHAT IT IS. I HAD THE OIL CHANGE AND THE COOLANT FLUSHED. THE IS NO OIL MIXING WITH THE COOLANT... AND IT IS NOT THE HEADS..THE CAR IS NOT OVER HEATING......... SO WHAT IN THE WORLD IS IT!!!!!!!!!! SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME OUT PLEASE!!!!!!!!

I HAVE A 98 LEXUS ES 300.... WITH 205,000 MILES ON IT ... CAN SOME ONE SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME...... I HAVE WHITE SMOKE COMING FROM TAIL PIPE FROM COLD START. I ALSO HAVE SOME SMOKE COMING FROM MANIFOLD. I CANT FIGURE OUT WHAT IT IS. I HAD THE OIL CHANGE AND THE COOLANT FLUSHED. THE IS NO OIL MIXING WITH THE COOLANT... AND IT IS NOT THE HEADS..THE CAR IS NOT OVER HEATING......... SO WHAT IN THE WORLD IS IT!!!!!!!!!! SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME OUT PLEASE!!!!!!!!

Loose the cap locks dude!! How much smoke comes out the exh, a little is normally a indication of the valve stem seals (although it is actually blue smoke, but easy to mistake the two). As far as smoke from the manifold, which one? Intake, or one of the exh? Are you loosing any coolant? Or oil?

i have the same problem (98 es 180xxx) its only when the car sits for a long period of time. in the morning there is white smoke out the exh and from the front right of the car(if your siting in the car) i figured it was condensation since its cold but after i leave school its in the 60s and smokes for about 5 min then goes away. not loosing and coolant/oil and its not blue so not tranny fluid. any ideas?

Also: if the air/heat is on intake it smells pretty bad in the car

Considering that you are not loosing coolant, then most you are correct about condensation. The smoke from under the hood is probably from the rear valve cover leaking (these engines are installed with a significant tilt, with the rear cylinder bank rather low. There is likely a little seapage from the rear valve cover, which is going onto the rear exhaust manifold and being burned. I would first recomend changing the PCV valve, and with this many miles I would also change out the PCV valve groment (located in the valve cover) it costs about 1 dollar, and takes a couple min to change out.

Sorry.......white smoke sounds like a cracked head, water getting into the cylinder and turning to steam and out the exhaust, along with a blown head gasket. Is the oil contaminated? Are coolant levels going down? Either of these support blown head/gasket diagnosis.

THE OIL IS NOT CONTAMINATED .... THE COOLANT LEVEL IS FINE... NOT GOING DOWN. THE CAR DOESNOT OVER HEAT. IT IS ONLY THE WHITE SMOKE FROM THE MANIFOLD AND THE EXHAUST. AND I WAS TOLD IF IT WAS A BLOWN HEAD GASKET THAT THE SMOKE WOULD SMELL LIKE ANTI FREEZE.... BUT THE SMOKE COMING OUT MY CAR SMELLS LIKE EXHAUST

Considering that you are not loosing coolant, then most you are correct about condensation. The smoke from under the hood is probably from the rear valve cover leaking (these engines are installed with a significant tilt, with the rear cylinder bank rather low. There is likely a little seapage from the rear valve cover, which is going onto the rear exhaust manifold and being burned. I would first recomend changing the PCV valve, and with this many miles I would also change out the PCV valve groment (located in the valve cover) it costs about 1 dollar, and takes a couple min to change out.

OK THANKS SO MUCH.... I WILL TRY THAT AND SEE IF THAT FIXES THE PROBLEM... WILL LET YOU KNOW. THANKS AGAIN

i have the same problem (98 es 180xxx) its only when the car sits for a long period of time. in the morning there is white smoke out the exh and from the front right of the car(if your siting in the car) i figured it was condensation since its cold but after i leave school its in the 60s and smokes for about 5 min then goes away. not loosing and coolant/oil and its not blue so not tranny fluid. any ideas?

Also: if the air/heat is on intake it smells pretty bad in the car

YEAH I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM WHEN THE HEAT / AIR IS ON IT SMELLS INSIDE THE CAR... THAT IS THE SMOKE FROM THE MANIFOLD... IT SMELLS LIKE SOMETHING IS BURNING

OK THANKS .. I WILL TRY THAT

Loose the cap locks dude!! How much smoke comes out the exh, a little is normally a indication of the valve stem seals (although it is actually blue smoke, but easy to mistake the two). As far as smoke from the manifold, which one? Intake, or one of the exh? Are you loosing any coolant? Or oil?

IM NOT LOOSING ANY COOLANT OR OIL.... IT SMOKES FOR ABOUT 5 MINS FROM A COLD START. THE SMOKE IS WHITE... THE SMOKE FROM THE MANIFOLD IS FROM THE EXHAUST MANIFOLD... NOT THE INTAKE

I realize that this may not sound logical, but there would probably very little cost savings if you wait for the timming belt/water pump change. You do not need to remove the valve covers to replace the timming belt water pump. I would suggest getting the valve cover gaskets changed now and then doing the timming belt/water pump later. Much easier to budget the money it you do it separately

well i do all the maintenance on my car so im not worried about the price variable and im going to change the timing belt/water pump when i get a long weekend off sometime soon, so i figured if im tearing apart the car then it would be easier to replace them at the same time.

Would it be any easier when i do the timing or should i go ahead the replace the gasket?

Also i good diy would be great if u can post one on here.

Thanks again!