Gs300 Awd Tire Options

Time to find new tires for my 06 GS 300 AWD. Have some cheap rotationals on currently and they are way too loud. I'm tring to decide between Michelin Primacy MXV4 or Bridgeston Toranza Serenitys. Rims are 17". My acura has bridgestones and i've been realitvly pleased. Any suggestions? My local dealership recommend the Michelin Pilot series but all online reviews tell me they are not the tire of choice. Priority is quite ride then performance then tread life then cost. Help would be appreciated.

Time to find new tires for my 06 GS 300 AWD. Have some cheap rotationals on currently and they are way too loud. I'm tring to decide between Michelin Primacy MXV4 or Bridgeston Toranza Serenitys. Rims are 17". My acura has bridgestones and i've been realitvly pleased. Any suggestions? My local dealership recommend the Michelin Pilot series but all online reviews tell me they are not the tire of choice. Priority is quite ride then performance then tread life then cost. Help would be appreciated.

I've got 60,000 miles on my Bridgestone Serenitys on my GS 300 RWD, and am very happy with them. They are extremely quiet, and have good traction on wet pavement.

You think I'd still need snow tires with AWD?

My 1998 ES300 was FWD and pulled me through Southern Ontario snow without a slip for 4 years. Wouldn't the front drive part of AWD do the same thing?

For the most part, yes, it will help pull you through the snow far better than FWD or RWD alone. Normally, the GS's system supplies 30% power to the front wheels and 70% power to the rear wheels. This will vary depending on the demand from each wheel given a ton of information from many sensors.

Now AWD coupled with the right tire will improve the current system even more. Coupled with the wrong tire and it can accually hinder its abilities.

For example. My GS AWD with the 18" 245 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S is fabulous on dry and wet pavement, however, will not be great in the snow or slush so I won't use them in the winter. Partly because the tire is not rated well in the snow and partly because the tire is too wide. The width of the tire will cause it to try to ride up on top of the snow like a sled rather than slice through the snow or slush like a narrower tire will do. Tread pattern and channel width play a major part in a tire and car's ability as well.

Another example: My 2002 ES300 came with Bridgestone Potenza RE92 tires in a size of 215/60-16. This was/is a dangerous tire in the snow and rain. I later had a set of Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S in the same size on the same car and they were outstanding in the snow and rain. This is a case where the tire made the difference, FWD or not. Recently I have been driving a 2009 IS250 AWD shod with the RE92s and even with AWD, that tire did not impress me on slick surfaces. It actually made me nervous.

Personally, I went with dedicated high performance snow tires because I had the 17" rims, I wanted the added traction in the extreme winter conditions and I wanted to maintain performance when the extreme conditions were tame.

steviej

• 2 weeks later...

I have an 06 AWD with Dunlap run flats. Smooth and quiet, but really hard, and you feel every little bump. Have been researching tires, and have pretty much decided to go with the Bridgestone Serenity. All tests and reviews that I have read are very positive. Seems to be a very quiet smooth tire, with excellent dry and wet traction. Set complete with warranty and lifetime balance a rotate gonna run me right at $900. Hope thats a good deal !!

As a follow up, I did decided on the Bridgestones, I have about 600 miles on them so far and couldn't believe the difference. The car rides like new. Performance wet and dry, confort, quite ride.. all around great tire for the AWD.

Thanks everyone for your advise.