? Re: Updating Nav Sys In 04 330rx

I just acquired an 04 330rx that has the original nav system which says it is 3.1 to upgrade it as i use the nav system a lot for work. I know that i can get it done at the dealership for 270 or get a disk from dealer for 199.

What i don't know is the following.

1. Will the newest disk just work on this nav system, or are there other upgrades i would need to make before it would work.

2. How difficult is the setup on the disk. If it takes an hour to program, or is complex, I would probably let the dealer do it. If its like installing average software on a computer, ill keep the 70 bucks and take the family out for burgers.

3. How big of an upgrade will this be??? Will the new disk simply provide new maps or can i expect better graphics, improved usability, more choices, etc. etc.?????

4. Is there an alternative that i should explore, like replacing the entire unit, replacing the nav/ audio together. (i want to upgrade that also)????

Thanks for any advice that anybody can provide.

• 1 month later...
I just acquired an 04 330rx that has the original nav system which says it is 3.1 to upgrade it as i use the nav system a lot for work. I know that i can get it done at the dealership for 270 or get a disk from dealer for 199.

What i don't know is the following.

1. Will the newest disk just work on this nav system, or are there other upgrades i would need to make before it would work.

2. How difficult is the setup on the disk. If it takes an hour to program, or is complex, I would probably let the dealer do it. If its like installing average software on a computer, ill keep the 70 bucks and take the family out for burgers.

3. How big of an upgrade will this be??? Will the new disk simply provide new maps or can i expect better graphics, improved usability, more choices, etc. etc.?????

4. Is there an alternative that i should explore, like replacing the entire unit, replacing the nav/ audio together. (i want to upgrade that also)????

Thanks for any advice that anybody can provide.

The new DVD V9.1 is available for $199. The only items updated is the mapping information (roads, streets, business info, etc.). You wont find any changes to the operating system.

The new disc, in comparison to your V3.1, is quite different. Thats over 6 years of changes!

Lastly, the installation is easy. It will only take 2 minutes to update after you install the new disc. The navigation computer is in the back near the spare tire. Simply slide the cover over the button and press for 2 seconds. The old disc will eject automatically. DO NOT insert the new disc first or you will damage it.

As far as the stereo is concerned you will be spending a ton to replace the radio, monitor, amplifier etc. Your climate control goes through the monitor in the dash too. I would suggest that you only replace the speakers, or amp and speakers.