2004 Rx330 Dash Noise

apeas2

Well, it is winter here now in MD. We have had our car for about 8 months. Since the beginning of the winter, there has been ALOT of noise, crackling and popping from the dash. If you look closely, its more of a 1 piece cover that rests on top covering the airbags. If you reach forward to the windshield and press down, you will see the movement as it is sort of floating. When the car flexes, theres the noise. We had it in the dealership once, and they might have made it worse. Needless to say, I am *BLEEP*ed. What a HORRIBLE design. We will go back to the dealership next week.....Any others have dash noise?

It just started for me. I know taking it in won't help. This is the worst car I have ever owned. I mean it. There shouldn't be crackling and popping from the dashboard. Still frustrate me that so many Car magazines rated this a great car when clearly it isnt.

• 2 weeks later...

Heres the scoop,

Our RX is at the dealer now for dash rattle/noise again. It now sems Lexus has identified the issues (and there are alot in the dash) and have told dealers how to fix the rattle/noise. It will be a TSB but is not yet, but all the dealers know how to fix it. My dealership has already fixed a few. Make sure you have a "master tech" do the job as the dashboard comes out. I will post an update towards the end of the week as to how the fix is. My service manager was not sure if the production lines have started to add the fix yet.

unbelievable!! They got all the rattles, cracks pops etc....Thank goodness LEXUS told the dealers how to fix it, but shame on them for poor quality issues. My dealer in MD took 2 days to do the job, and I told them about the new mudguards. When my wife piced the RX up, they had ordered them and installed them for FREE!!!! So, a very good dealer experience. If your RX dash is not noisy, it will get there, especially when its cold. The RX loaner they gave us had worse dash noise than us. Spread the word......

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Well, it is winter here now in MD. We have had our car for about 8 months. Since the beginning of the winter, there has been ALOT of noise, crackling and popping from the dash. If you look closely, its more of a 1 piece cover that rests on top covering the airbags. If you reach forward to the windshield and press down, you will see the movement as it is sort of floating. When the car flexes, theres the noise. We had it in the dealership once, and they might have made it worse. Needless to say, I am *BLEEP*ed. What a HORRIBLE design. We will go back to the dealership next week.....Any others have dash noise?

I have a 2001 RX 300. Every now and then I hear a noise that sounds like a relay clicking. Is this the type of noise or sound that everyone else is talking about. I just want to be sure its not the beginning of a short.

HERE'S THE REAR SCOOP, NOT THE JUNK YOU HAVE ALL REAR ABOUT.....

TAKE IT FROM ME, NOT ONLY AN OWNER BUT AN EMPLOYEE...

THERE IS A FIX, HAVE CONFIDENCE, THE NOISE ONLY OCCURS OR SHOULD

I SAY STARTS TO OCCUR WHEN THE TEMPS DROP, SO FACTORY TESTING

IS NOT THE REAL ANSWER, HOWEVER 100'S OF CARS HAVE BEEN FIXED

RELAX, THERE ARE WORSE THINGS!!!

i am from vienna austria europe

in austria there are only a few lexus. my first lexus was a rx 300 03/2002 an

after three months there was a noise like a clicking relay. they could not find the

reason, but the car had been at the dealer for 35 days in a year. at last they

took an other brandnew rx 300 and changed a lot of parts parts especially the

petrolpump and the electronic unit one to one. perhaps the reason was a failure

caused by the v max kit. do you use one ??. after this change the relay never

clicked again, but the car started to make noises from all parts or the removed

dash. later on my lexus had a problem with the differential gear and therefore i

changed to a nex rx 330 05 /2003 ( in europe the new is also called rx 300

because we have only a 3,0 liter engine and our cars are built in japan and not in

canada. the body is the same only the name is different and we have only awd)

after 10 months now i have a lot of dash rattle and glove box rattle in the new car

HERE'S THE REAR SCOOP, NOT THE JUNK YOU HAVE ALL REAR ABOUT.....

TAKE IT FROM ME, NOT ONLY AN OWNER BUT AN EMPLOYEE...

THERE IS A FIX, HAVE CONFIDENCE, THE NOISE ONLY OCCURS OR SHOULD

I SAY STARTS TO OCCUR WHEN THE TEMPS DROP, SO FACTORY TESTING

IS NOT THE REAL ANSWER, HOWEVER 100'S OF CARS HAVE BEEN FIXED

RELAX, THERE ARE WORSE THINGS!!!

:huh: 2GZ...Thanks for your words of encouragement. My noise seems to happen when the temp rises. I don't hear the noise until the temp outside is above 65 degrees. But I still want to know if the sound I'm hearing is the sound everyone else is talking about. It sound like a relay clicking. Please (anyone) please let me know if this is the same sound (click) eveyone else is hearing. Thanks. :D

Our 2004 RX330 developed the dashboard popping after about 6 months. We told the dealer about it when we took it in for normal service (Lexus of Bellevue WA). They didn't even ask us to describe the noise. They said that they needed to remove the dash to fix the problem and that it would take a full day. Gave us a loaner car overnight. We picked up the car the next day. No charge. Problem fixed.

So, it sounds as if this is a known problem with a defined procedure for fixing it. Looking at the posts from those who have not been able to get a satisfactory solution, I'd say that not all of the dealers have gotten the memo.

Our 2004 RX330 developed the dashboard popping after about 6 months.  We told the dealer about it when we took it in for normal service (Lexus of Bellevue WA).  They didn't even ask us to describe the noise.  They said that they needed to remove the dash to fix the problem and that it would take a full day.  Gave us a loaner car overnight.  We picked up the car the next day.  No charge.  Problem fixed.

So, it sounds as if this is a known problem with a defined procedure for fixing it.  Looking at the posts from those who have not been able to get a satisfactory solution, I'd say that not all of the dealers have gotten the memo.

lumbaga,

I too am experience some dash noises("poping", "rattle"). Did Lexus of Bellevue note what they did to fix the problem and/or what TSIB's(if any) they referenced to fix the problem? I live in the southend and was hoping that Lexus of Fife might also be aware of the fix.

Thanks,

JL

JL -

The service advisor told my wife that they had received a "report" from the factory and that the problem was easy to fix. I assume this means a TSB. The fix apparently involved packing insulation under the dash. You might want to give them a call. (425) 455-9995

• 9 months later...
I was told they took the dash off and placed foam under all contact points (I'm sure it was more complicated). As I mentioned, they did fix the "sporadic" problem, so I am very happy. It was done at Larry H Miller Lexus in Salt Lake City.

I've been reading the various posts about RX330 dashboard noises. My RX is one year old and has been to Pohanka Lexus, Chantilly, VA three times. The dash has been removed and the TSB was performed. No luck at all. It's been in the shop several days now - I don't think they have a handle on this. This has not been good first Lexus experience. I also had to deal with a factory defective windshield - improper laminate bonding I was told. For six months it had a constant haze - very hard to see at night.

I purchased a 2004 RX330 in August of 2003. The dashboard never made a noise until the 5000 service andh Lexus on their own performed a 'dashboard adjustment' that was prescribed by the manufacturer because they knew at that time they had a problem. From that point on, my car was in for a noisy dashboard about 12 times and well over a total of 30 days. I finally called lexus usa and after a week of consultation, they decided they did not want to give me a new car, I then filed a claim with the New York Attorney General - Lemon Law division. If NY deems that your case is justified, they insist you go to an arbitration board that Lexus must attend by law. One week before my arbitration date, I received a call from Lexus USA saying that they have reviewed my case and had decided to give me a car, They told the local dealer would handle the details. The local dealer then told me they would be giving me a new 2004 rx330. I refused the 2004 and told them i would only accept a 2005 - hoping that lexus would have made some adjustments to the dash, The dealer then said that if i came up with $500, if we get me a 2005. I refused and told him i would be at the arbitration instead. Twenty minutes later, I received another call stating that they were ordering a 2005 for me and gave me a choice of any colors, etc.

The 2005 dashboard appears to be foamier. They have not gotten rid of the problem 100%, but it is much better.

My advice to you is ask if your state has a Lemon Law. It is obvious that LEXUS does not want to go to arbitration. Make sure all of your complaints are documented and print out all of the complaints on this board. If you need additional info, email me at bv244usa-jets@yahoo.com

My 2004 RX330 also had the dash rattle noise problem. Luckily, my Lexus dealer successfully fixes it. Here are the information I got:

TSB#NV007-04

NV4012 Dash rattle repair '04 RX 330

NV4012A

NV4012B

NV4012C

NV4012D

NV4012E

NV4012F

Another common problem on RX330 is wind noise when front windows are fully up (check other RX330 forum). My dealer fixes my RX wind noise problem with the following kits:

TSB NV008-04

NV4013 Front door wind noise improv '04-'05 RX 330

68171-48032 Weatherstrip, Fr Door

68172-48032 Weatherstrip, Fr Door

NV4013A '04-'05 RX 330

Once more, .... Love my RX :D

In my opinion, the new cars aren't built as the old ones were. The new interiors are too plasticy, and just aren't at the quality lexus should be at. True it's a new model but still its supposed to be a lexus!! As long as they fix it im sure it'll be ok.