A Few Rx350 Questions

Hey Guys,

We're in the market for a new luxury crossover and it's likely we'll once again be going with Lexus and the RX350. I have a few questions I was hoping I could get answered here, particularly in regards to pricing.

1) The salesman was rather persistent in that since we are previous customers we would be well taken care of and given a very good price. We haven't gotten to the stage where we get down to pricing, but I was hoping some well experienced members could give me a ballpark idea of how the following Lexus would be priced out including whatever this previous owners deal is (if it's for real). We're thinking of the AWD RX350 with Navigation, rear backup cam, beige seats, (not sure of exterior paint - does it really make a difference in price?). Apparently this comes to about $47k. How low do you think we could snag this for? I apologize ahead of time if this is a taboo topic, so if this thread needs to be closed please let me know, as I meant no ill intentions.

2) Are there any known issue's with the AWD RX350? What about it's Nav system or any other part of the car? I know Lexus is great, we've had no issue's with the ES300, but I'm just checking.

3) How does the AWD on the RX350 differ from Quattro on the Q5? I was being lectured by the Audi salesman how superior quattro is to Lexus's "essentially RWD system" and I have heard only excellent things about quattro. However, I'm not an audi fan so you don't need to convince me Lexus is better, I'd just like to know how Lexus's AWD system (does it have a name?) performs in regards to quattro. Anyone have personal experience getting through 2 feet of snow with it?

4) How soon is the 2011 model due out? Are there any major changes that would be worth holding off on getting the 2010?

Thank you very much for your time

Hey Guys,

We're in the market for a new luxury crossover and it's likely we'll once again be going with Lexus and the RX350. I have a few questions I was hoping I could get answered here, particularly in regards to pricing.

1) The salesman was rather persistent in that since we are previous customers we would be well taken care of and given a very good price. We haven't gotten to the stage where we get down to pricing, but I was hoping some well experienced members could give me a ballpark idea of how the following Lexus would be priced out including whatever this previous owners deal is (if it's for real). We're thinking of the AWD RX350 with Navigation, rear backup cam, beige seats, (not sure of exterior paint - does it really make a difference in price?). Apparently this comes to about $47k. How low do you think we could snag this for? I apologize ahead of time if this is a taboo topic, so if this thread needs to be closed please let me know, as I meant no ill intentions.

2) Are there any known issue's with the AWD RX350? What about it's Nav system or any other part of the car? I know Lexus is great, we've had no issue's with the ES300, but I'm just checking.

3) How does the AWD on the RX350 differ from Quattro on the Q5? I was being lectured by the Audi salesman how superior quattro is to Lexus's "essentially RWD system" and I have heard only excellent things about quattro. However, I'm not an audi fan so you don't need to convince me Lexus is better, I'd just like to know how Lexus's AWD system (does it have a name?) performs in regards to quattro. Anyone have personal experience getting through 2 feet of snow with it?

4) How soon is the 2011 model due out? Are there any major changes that would be worth holding off on getting the 2010?

For question #1, I'd recommend a Consumers' Report print out for around $20. The report lists everything available, the MSRP, and the invoice price. That amount of knowledge puts you in a strong position. Also, remember that invoice price already includes a hidden 5% dealer profit.

For the other questions, I defer to those with deeper knowledge.

If it's anything like the process in previous years, the 2010 won't be coming out until August of 2010, so in about a year.

$47k "sounds" high, but i guess the 010's are higher than the 09's were.

Hey Guys,

For question #1, I'd recommend a Consumers' Report print out for around $20. The report lists everything available, the MSRP, and the invoice price. That amount of knowledge puts you in a strong position. Also, remember that invoice price already includes a hidden 5% dealer profit.

For the other questions, I defer to those with deeper knowledge.

You can go to the Lexus site and do a "build you own" to come up with a option list and pricing. If you can nail down the options you want, you can shop the price with your local dealers and the internet.

I paid 49080+ for a car I ordered with a sticker of 54800+. It is missing only a few options. I ordered the car because it was apparently the only way to get factory entertainment, which is spectacular, BTW. The "typical" Edmunds, AAA, Costco price is right around $1500 over invoice; there is no haggling.

I've not taken this into snow yet but have confidence it is better than the last two generations, which I've owned and used in the snow often, to great satisfaction. I did on one occassion in the Sierras get a chance to drive my RX400 AWD through a foot and half of fresh snow. Frankly, at the time moving up hill on an unplowed road I thought the trip was tenuous at best, but I was successful; the car did the job. Of course the Audi guy will tell you how great the Quattro system is; did he also mention how unreliable an Audi is? Ask him how well "Quattro" works when the car is on the rack in the shop a few times in the first 10k miles. Lexus is not essentially an RWD system - if he told you this he REALLY knows nothing of which he speaks. These are FWD cars first under most conditions.

Thank you all for your replies this far. I'm aware of the nav lockout while driving but honestly it's never been much of an inconvenience on our ES300 so I'm not concerned about it on this newer Lexus, unless they've restricted more functions.

Brad, I'm surprised you paid that much more. I believe the $47k includes the AWD model with Nav, although I do not believe it includes the rear headrest DVD, but that still couldn't account for the 7k price difference. I'm guessing cars are more expensive in your area, but I'm in MA and referring to MA Lexus delearships, it's not exactly like things are cheap here either.

This car is primarily for my mother (seems most drivers of these are women, but honestly it seems like a great car and could care less what people think if they see driving it) and reliable AWD is what she needs. Tiptronic and performance options on the Audi are nice but she doesn't need it. My concern was more in regards to whether there are any known issue's with the AWD system on the RX350.

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you all for your replies this far. I'm aware of the nav lockout while driving but honestly it's never been much of an inconvenience on our ES300 so I'm not concerned about it on this newer Lexus, unless they've restricted more functions.

Brad, I'm surprised you paid that much more. I believe the $47k includes the AWD model with Nav, although I do not believe it includes the rear headrest DVD, but that still couldn't account for the 7k price difference. I'm guessing cars are more expensive in your area, but I'm in MA and referring to MA Lexus delearships, it's not exactly like things are cheap here either.

This car is primarily for my mother (seems most drivers of these are women, but honestly it seems like a great car and could care less what people think if they see driving it) and reliable AWD is what she needs. Tiptronic and performance options on the Audi are nice but she doesn't need it. My concern was more in regards to whether there are any known issue's with the AWD system on the RX350.

There are other limited function while driving in the audio and phone systems as well

• 2 weeks later...
If it's anything like the process in previous years, the 2010 won't be coming out until August of 2010, so in about a year.

$47k "sounds" high, but i guess the 010's are higher than the 09's were.

:rolleyes:

Pretty ugly looking bull rack on the front bumper ROTFFLMAO!!!