Is Gs350awd Unreliable

I am considering a GS350 AWD, either new or used but the latest consumer reports issue lists the GS AWD in their least reliable upscale/luxury cars catagory. I have owned the GS300,RX300,RX330,ES300, and ES350, all with excellent relability so this concerns me. I would like to hear both the good and bad form GS350AWD owners.

The only problems I can report with my vehicle are:

1. I have had to have the side mirrors replaced because the motor went bad in them. That happened before the warranty went out, and was not a problem specific to a GS model. My RX had the same issue.

2. The Check VSC light went on twice, but I have made it a point to make sure I click my gas cap twice after fueling and the light has not come back on.

Other than that, my car has been rock solid.

--Duckman

Lexus GS 300 AWD 70000 miles. No major issues.

1).Side mirrors sometimes don`t get back to same position after reverse.

2).Notice that sometimes, when turning on ramp to freeway my AFS light start blinking. But soon when i restart engine it goes off.

That`s all. Own for one year and seem`s like is pretty reliable car. GO LEXUS!

I am considering a GS350 AWD, either new or used but the latest consumer reports issue lists the GS AWD in their least reliable upscale/luxury cars catagory. I have owned the GS300,RX300,RX330,ES300, and ES350, all with excellent relability so this concerns me. I would like to hear both the good and bad form GS350AWD owners.

Are we reading the same magazine? The only Lexus vehicle reviewed in an Consumer Reports magazine article from January through December 2009 has been the RX350 which was reviewed in the July issue.

If you are talking about the 2010 Consumer Reports Buying Guide that subscribers recently received in the mail, I can not find the GS350 AWD in "their least reliable upscale/luxury cars catagory (sic)". No Lexus is in the "Vehicles to Avoid" list. Only one Toyota brand product is in the "Vehicles to Avoid" list -- the 2008 Camry V6. No vehicle made by Toyota Motor Company is in the "Worst of the Worst" list.

If you are talking about the "Auto Reliability" ratings section of the Buying Guide which is based on surveys completed by Consumer Reports subscribers, the GS350 AWD has an overall "Average" or better rating for 2006 through 2008.

While the 2010 GS350 AWD is given a "Predicted Reliablility" rating of "Average" in the "Luxury Sedans" category, so are the 2010 Audi A6, BMW 535i, and Cadillac DTS. The GS350 AWD gets the "Recommended Model" designation too.

djml07es, would you please set me straight?

• 3 weeks later...

The December 2009 CR on page 62 talks about the GS 350 AWD (I've got a 2007 with 30K) is now Not Recommended and Least Reliable for several reasons. As I recall in the auto issue, the 2007 was getting some negative owner reports on body integrity, radio problems, and brakes. I have had two of these three issues (brake noise and lots of body noise) and am not happy. Everything else seems fine

Lexus took two days to pull the dash to add sound-proofing and other fixes that were covered under warranty. In another thread, the dash noises are discussed at length. There are now some new rattles but things are better but this is my third Lexus (ES300 and LS400) and it is the noisiest ever. My son is driving the LS400 and it is as tight and quiet as ever.

My lease is up in June and I think I'm going to return the car and go back to a TL again. If I kept the GS and wanted to trade later, I'd take a bath with the Not Recommended rating.

Thanks, Hank. I missed that in the Dec. 09 CR issue. Odd that CR would lable the GS AWD "Not recommended" in the Dec. 2009 issue and "Recommended" in the CR 2010 Buying Guide when both were mailed out at about the same time.

Bummer about your experience with your GS. The vast majority of 2006-up GS3x0 cars I see where I live are AWD models and there are a lot of them. In fact, I don't remember ever seeing a 2006-up RWD GS3x0 car here.

Jim, thanks for the Kansas GS report on AWD. Having lived in Omaha for many years, I can't imagine having a lot of winter driving pleasure with a RWD GS. I did have my LS400 for a few years in NE and it was always a challenge with the icy hills even with sandbags in the trunk.

So, Recommended in one and Not Recommended in another. I've got to find the CR 2010 Buying Guide; my wife must have taken it to her bathroom! LOL