Lexus Gs300 2001 - Smog Test No Go

I have a 2001 GS300 which I took in for a emissions control test - smog test (California). Their diagnostic machine could not communicate with my car's computer. They connect their machine to the OBD II (I think that is the name) plug located underneath the steering column. There are no warning lights or problems with the car. Everything works okay.

Is it possible for a do-it-yourselfer to isolate the problem and fix it?

Thank You

Dan Curtis

I have a 2001 GS300 which I took in for a emissions control test - smog test (California). Their diagnostic machine could not communicate with my car's computer. They connect their machine to the OBD II (I think that is the name) plug located underneath the steering column. There are no warning lights or problems with the car. Everything works okay.

Is it possible for a do-it-yourselfer to isolate the problem and fix it?

Thank You

Dan Curtis

go to AUTO ZONE and ask to them check your OBD II. When they plug it in the little computer should come on. If it doesnt then you have a blown fuse somewhere. If the computer comes on and it shows no codes then its the SMOG TEST PPL not your car, who got the problem.

... dude ... I checked in the User Manual and there was a chart of all the fuses and locations. There was one for the OBD ... I pulled it out and it was blown. It is a 7.5 size. I replaced it with one of the spare fuses from one of the engine compartment fuse containers which was a 15.

Back to the smog test center this morning and the computers communicated okay and my car passed the test!!

I went to Pep Boys and bought some fuses and changed the 15 back to a 7.5 for the OBD ...

Thanks for the info ...

Dan Curtis