Car Won't Click, Battery Completely Dead After Trying To Start Ls4

JTom

Update: Disregard title, it will click. My female positive terminal is completely corroded on a 1992 LS400 so much so that also me being new to working on my car grinded into the positive pole of my male battery. Also if it's not in the right position it won't turn on or get power. Right now though I can turn on my brights, radio, and A/C and still just get one click.

I'm guessing very likely I activated the anti-theft. At least I hope that's just that. Any thoughts on how to disable?

Clean up the battery connectors with a wire brush and be sure bolt torqued down well. Replace rusty bolts with new. Loose connections won't allow the 200-300 AMPs a starter motor will draw. Other things working but they are a very light draw on battery compared to starter motor.

I'm guessing very likely I activated the anti-theft. At least I hope that's just that. Any thoughts on how to disable?

Clean up the battery connectors with a wire brush and be sure bolt torqued down well. Replace rusty bolts with new. Loose connections won't allow the 200-300 AMPs a starter motor will draw. Other things working but they are a very light draw on battery compared to starter motor.

Yeah, the positive female terminal is completely corroded on the battery. Might have to be replaced but that's a hell of a lot better than the starter if it is it! Thanks man for the tips will get some new bolts too.

Yeah, the positive female terminal is completely corroded on the battery. Might have to be replaced but that's a hell of a lot better than the starter if it is it! Thanks man for the tips will get some new bolts too.

On my 94ls, to disable the security feature, lock and unlock the passenger door with the key. Sears just put in a new battery for me and they spent 20 minutes trying to start the car before they asked me about the lock out feature.

So which part is wrong? The "E" or the "400" lol. my guess is the "E."

As far as the starting issue goes, these LS 400's need a lot of juice to start. To jump them you need to wait 10 minutes after connecting the cables. Ask the attendants at the Newark Airport. Check the battary cafeful, very important.

Jtom...one click *usually* means one of two things: a bad starter relay OR corroded starter solenoid contacts (in the starter).

Corroded/bad connections at the battery usually produce a machine gun clickety-clickety for as long as you hold the key in the start position and not just one single click.

A theft deterrent cause would usually result in no response at all(from a key turn) but perhaps there is some small anti-theft relay clicking somewhere. I am not familiar enough with anti-theft to say for sure.

If it is a fairly loud metallic click and appears to be coming from the back of the engine compartment, you might be looking at a starter rebuild/replace.