Cloudy Headlight Lens

MRubenzahl

The headlight lenses on my 99 RX300 are cloudy and yellowed. I found a 3M kit designed to clean lenses but I don't see how to get them open! I see what looks like pry points between the clear lens and the headlight body and there is a gray sealing compound that seems to glue the lens in place. That's as far as I got.

I want to remove the lens, and clean and polish, or replace. How do I get it apart?

Thanks in advance...

The 3M kit is designed to refinish the exterior of the lens. I've used that kit and it works miracles. Usually, exterior clouding/yellowing is due to long-term exposure to ultraviolet radiation and mechanical abrasion which the 3M kit deals with nicely. As for the inside, if you can get to it, it will probably clean up without a lot of effort but good luck getting there. Let us know how it plays out.

The 3M kit is designed to refinish the exterior of the lens. ...

Are you suggesting I read the directions!? Horrors!

You're right, I see now. Also see that this is not a 20 minute project so it will wait for another day. I'll let you know how it goes.

MRubenzahl, it's doubtful you will have to open up your light units to clean inside. Most of the haze is likely on the outside as it was on my 2000 LS400. You are going to be amazed at how well the lenses clear up by refinishing the outer surfaces.

The headlight lenses on my 99 RX300 are cloudy and yellowed. I found a 3M kit designed to clean lenses but I don't see how to get them open! I see what looks like pry points between the clear lens and the headlight body and there is a gray sealing compound that seems to glue the lens in place. That's as far as I got.

I want to remove the lens, and clean and polish, or replace. How do I get it apart?

Thanks in advance...

I wouldn't try to get them open. Trust me, they were never meant to come apart. Almost for certain you would break them getting them apart, and has been said, the discoloration and haze is on the outside, not the inside.

• 3 weeks later...

I had always thought, and been told by a dealership, that my headlights were clouded up on the inside of the units and was prepared to spend hundreds of dollars for replacement units and install them myself. Just for grins, I purchased a bottle of Blue Magic Headlight Lens Restorer from Dollar General for five bucks and change. Much to my astonishment, after five minutes spent on each lens, they look like they did the day we drove it home from the Lexus dealer, amazingly simple procedure. Thanks to 1990LS400 for the heads up about them being fogged up on the outside. I love this forum!!

A bathroom cleanser product called Soft Scrub also does a great job cleaning grime and oxidation from cloudy headlight lens exteriors. You can pick up a bottle at Wal-Mart for about three bucks (or check your stash of existing bathroom cleanser products - you may already have some)....

name='farmerfelts' date='Nov 21 2009, 10:38 AM' post='393518']

I had always thought, and been told by a dealership, that my headlights were clouded up on the inside of the units and was prepared to spend hundreds of dollars for replacement units and install them myself. Much to my astonishment, after five minutes spent on each lens, they look like they did the day we drove it home from the Lexus dealer, amazingly simple procedure.

FF- you believed what the dealer told you??? I'll bet you believe what politicians say too, heh??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

name='farmerfelts' date='Nov 21 2009, 10:38 AM' post='393518']

I had always thought, and been told by a dealership, that my headlights were clouded up on the inside of the units and was prepared to spend hundreds of dollars for replacement units and install them myself. Much to my astonishment, after five minutes spent on each lens, they look like they did the day we drove it home from the Lexus dealer, amazingly simple procedure.

FF- you believed what the dealer told you??? I'll bet you believe what politicians say too, heh??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Maybe I believed the dealer or maybe I didn't, not really any of your concern now is it? My headlights are now in brand new condition without any assistance from a dealer if that tells you anything about what I believed. As far as politics goes, I don't now nor have I ever given a flying fark about it. Doesn't matter who's in office because in reality nobody with your and my best interest at heart is and haven't been for a long, long time.

That wasn't a personal attack, just an attempt at some light hearted humor. :D

Fair enough, I apologize to sir. :)

I don't want ot put any oil on any fire (pun intended), but I trust the dealer more than I trust the politicians, or, to put it differently, I listen to what they have to say before deciding, which I don't with politicians any more.

That wasn't a personal attack, just an attempt at some light hearted humor. :D

Fair enough, I apologize to sir. :)

I don't want ot put any oil on any fire (pun intended), but I trust the dealer more than I trust the politicians, or, to put it differently, I listen to what they have to say before deciding, which I don't with politicians any more.

Fair enough Paul- I vote in every election but as I told my boss one time, it's to the point that I have to hold my nose when I go into the both. Politics stinks so bad anymore. I READ enough to know where the politicians stand, but I refuse to listen to political speeches by any politician. I don't like to listen to lies and that's about what I'm going to hear. I look at what a politician has done in the past (because that's pretty much what he's going to do in the future, regardless of what he's told you to get elected). Most of them are pretty much like an auction house... FOR SALE TO THE HIGHEST BIDDER!

• 9 months later...

A quick (but way, way delayed) followup -- I finally used the 3M Headlight Polishing kit on my RX300.

Wow. It works wonderfully. Thanks to all who replied about the haze. I did not need to take them apart. Just masking tape on the body around the light, then follow directions, using the supplied pads on my drill, from coarse to fine. The kit is very high quality, can be used again, cost around $20.

• 8 years later...
On 6/20/2019 at 5:34 PM, AnnsRx said:

Hi, I've been reading these posts on cleaning headlight lens with 3m restoration kit...  looked online, there seems to be several kinds. Which are you using?  Tks

I've used a variety of these kits.   I think the best and "safest" one to use is the Sylvania Headlight Restoration Kit which does not require using power tools.  If you use this kit I would caution you to go beyond the instructions.  Mask all areas around and below the headlights so that you don't get the chemicals on anything except the headlight lenses.  Do the work inside in a dust free environment preferably between 70 and 85 degrees Fahrenheit.  Don't drive the vehicle or remove it from the inside environment for at 24 hours.  

The final clear coat takes longer to dry if the humidity is dry.  Resist the urge to touch the lens to see if it has dried!

None of these restoration kits provide permanent results.  Although the results of the Sylvania kit has lasted longer than the others, plan on repeating the process after around two years or sooner if you drive in harsh conditions where there is blowing fine road debris.  Lenses can be restored over and over.

Here is a link to an ad for the kit:  https://www.sylvania-automotive.com/products/other-lighting/other-accessories/index.jsp

It's available on Amazon for around $20 and at some auto parts stores.