New Guy. Need A Lesson.

Ok,

New to this forum, but I'm a big ford guy and participate a lot on their forums.

I'm trading in the mustang for an IS and I need some help to find out which one

to get. I know I can't and don't want to buy new, so I'm looking for a lesson about the history and changes between the years they were made. I know that ford messed with trans and suspension between 07-08. Any thoughts or ideas of things to look out for would be a huge help.

A good place to start is the Model Library on the Lexus website: http://www.lexus.com/cpo/model_library/IS/2008.html

IMO, it is very important that a buyer understands the various option packages and buys a car with the options he wants since it is almost always horribly expensive (often impossible) to retrofit a car with an option it doesn't have. Navigation is a good example. The navigation option adds very little to the price of a used Lexus. Adding navigation to a used Lexus can cost far more than the price difference between a car with and a car without navigation.

I've seen soooo many people regret not getting a particular option. Take your time and find a car that has exactly what you want.

Ok,

New to this forum, but I'm a big ford guy and participate a lot on their forums.

to get. I know I can't and don't want to buy new, so I'm looking for a lesson about the history and changes between the years they were made. I know that ford messed with trans and suspension between 07-08. Any thoughts or ideas of things to look out for would be a huge help.

Get the IS350 if you want power and acceleration.

The 06-08 have no changes except the wheels for 08 were available in gunmetal. For 09 the IS line got an updated front grill, revised tail lights, revised wheels, turn signals on the side mirrors, and Nav. version 8.1. And supposedly the steering and suspension systems were tweaked.

Important options for me were the HID headlights, 18" wheels, and navigation which has a rear view camera and bluetooth.

Something else that I got that I enjoy but could have lived without was the "premium package" with wood trim and heated and cooled seats.

Thanks guys for the info. Are there anythings that I need to look out for when trying to pic the right one? I.E. fuel line issues, sunroof and others? What would be a sign that the car has been messed with performance wise?

Seems that low-moisture ethanol blends can corrode the cars' fuel delivery pipes, causing a warning light to come on and possibly eating a pinhole through the pipe wall, causing a fuel leak. That is only if the previous owner used ethanol fuel. If not there will be nothing wrong with the car but you can get the fuel line replaced anyway if the car you get has not already had the service done. It will be free of charge whether the car has warranty left or not because it is a "recall." I have had no issues with my car. My sunroof and all other parts are silent. And I am sure a Lexus mechanic would be able to tell if the engine or other parts have been previously modified.

Personally if I were to look for a used car I would look close at all 4 wheels as most people cannot drive and end up scratching the wheels with the low profile tires. Drive the car and make sure the brake rotors don't feel warped. I have read on a previous form that because the rotors are made pretty close to tolerance once the rotors in an IS are warped they cannot be turned and you must replace them unless you don't care they are warped. Because they are made to be light with the least amount of metal. But I am only up to 10k miles and mine still feel great.

Ask for all service records. If they cannot produce them but had the car serviced at a Lexus dealership anywhere in the U.S.; any Lexus dealership will be able to pull the records for you.

Premium package with Nav is the most popular and I think the best combination of value and goodies. I just talked about this on another thread, in order to get memory seats you have to buy the luxo package that includes the electronic tilt steering. But that package was mostly special order, and are even harder to find used. Not to mention the luxo package was like a 3k upgrade. I wouldn't overly pursue the ML sound system also. It does sound a bit nicer, but the stock sound system holds it's own very nicely. For some reason the stock sound settings really put the sound forward in the car. I've found if you use the fader setting and move the sound to just behind the front seats it sounds much fuller and not as bright. I would however strongly reccommend getting one with the nav unit. It just makes the interface controls with the rest of the car much nicer imo. The touch screen genius!

Thanks. That helps a lot. Do you know anything about the sport pkg?

The sport package comes with a stiffer suspension, rubber studded stainless steel brake and gas pedal, and I think illuminated door sills, and some ground effects, and a rear spoiler. I'm not a fan of the spoiler on this car. I also don't think the IS needs an even stiffer suspension if your just an everyday commuter type driver. I have an aftermarket adjustable suspension and I keep it pretty soft for everyday driving. I don't know how happy I would be if "stiff" was my only option all the time.

Dear New Guy

Just don't get a MT u will be fine !

Ok,