Two Noises...

BrianP

Hi again... am bringing my 07 ES350 in for the 30k service next week and have two strange noises. Looking to see if anyone has had something simlar since these are intermittent and may be hard to find and fix.

Actually, this first one is easy. It's a clicking noise that appears to be in the roof to the right side of the moonroof. It is intermittent but stops when you simply push up on the ceiling. Anyone have anything like that?

The second is much more intermittent. The sound is similar to the noise when you pop open the trunk. It's in the back on both sides. It happens every single morning when I back out of my driveway when I get to the end, and turn the wheel, when the car starts to turn. It happens occasionally on a turn (same position with the wheels turned -- left or right) but also may happen (again on occasion) when going straight. I know that's not much to go on, but figure it's worth asking.

Thanks.

Brian

I'm right there with you, Brian...kind of a low 'whump' when I'm backing out of the driveway, (and no, I'm not backing over the neighbor's dog)...I thought it was just junk in the trunk, but maybe not...let us know what you find out, if anything.

-Ben

The clicking sound in the roof is more than likely the tire pressure sensor,its directly above the rear reading leds. there was a recall on the mounting braket.i had the same problem. i just pulled the rear of the headliner down and pried the braket down a little. the noise went away.

• 2 weeks later...

Well... the Lexus folks said that they dropped the roof panel and (I guess) added some padding. It helped the noise but did not totally stop it.

The good news is that the mysterious thud in the back is gone. They claim that they didn't find/do anything, but it is gone (hopefully forever). Perhaps as part of the 30k service, something was tightened or moved... I don't know, but I'm not complaining!

Brian

Hi again... am bringing my 07 ES350 in for the 30k service next week and have two strange noises. Looking to see if anyone has had something simlar since these are intermittent and may be hard to find and fix.

Actually, this first one is easy. It's a clicking noise that appears to be in the roof to the right side of the moonroof. It is intermittent but stops when you simply push up on the ceiling. Anyone have anything like that?

The second is much more intermittent. The sound is similar to the noise when you pop open the trunk. It's in the back on both sides. It happens every single morning when I back out of my driveway when I get to the end, and turn the wheel, when the car starts to turn. It happens occasionally on a turn (same position with the wheels turned -- left or right) but also may happen (again on occasion) when going straight. I know that's not much to go on, but figure it's worth asking.

Thanks.

Brian

The thumping noise could be coming from the gas tank. This car is known for making a thumping noise from that area when the tank is full or close to it. Once the level of fuel in the tank decreases the sound goes away. Check to see if the noise is there when full or near full with fuel and disappears when you have less in the tank.

• 2 months later...

Thanks.

Brian

The thumping noise could be coming from the gas tank. This car is known for making a thumping noise from that area when the tank is full or close to it. Once the level of fuel in the tank decreases the sound goes away. Check to see if the noise is there when full or near full with fuel and disappears when you have less in the tank.

I have noticed the same THUD noise when backing up and moving forward when the tank is full. Does Lexus have a fix for it or this is a feature for the car?? I believe this noise goes away when the fuel level drops in the tank but will confirm. The second noise i have is in the driver door which makes clicking sound when the car is moving but it goes away if i pull the door from the inside while driving, anyone has this issue?

• 2 months later...

Purchased a 2007 lease return 2 months ago and have the same clicking sound with the sun roof on the drivers side front (just located it in the last week). I believe its the wind deflector that's rattling around when the roof is closed. I put some electrical tape (3 layers) on the deflector just to add a little more depth to see if the added pressure of the window on the deflector (when closed) would be enough to quite the "clicking". Will keep you posted. It drives me crazy.

Try cleaning and treating the rubber gasket around the moonroof glass also. Mine clicks on my 300 and when I clean that gasket and treat it with some 303 it goes away...