Ls400 Vs. Gs300/400

redhawks2

I've had a '90 LS400 for several years and have been thinking about getting a newer one. Have also just noticed the GS series that I believe go back to '93. Is there a big difference between the LS and GS? It looks like they go used for about the same price and my gut feeling is that the LS is more towards a top of the line luxury car than the GS and that the GS is more of a sportier model. Any thoughts on this?

The Gs model has the same powerful 4 liter v8. it might have different gearing i'm not sure. also its a lot lighter car, with sportier suspension. therfor a quicker and maybe sportier cornering and feel. my buddy has a 96 gs400 and the comfort is about the same. it seems to be a little bit quicker than mine due to weight. and has a lot less body roll in the corners. last thought is you really can't go wrong with any 400 model, ls,gs,sc.

are you sure it was a 96 gs400 not gs300? i remeber they started to do gs400 only in 98. as to the pricing fully loaded gs430 weights 55k while LS will cost you more then 70k

If it was 96 it had to be a GS300, there was no GS400 until 1998. It could still be a little quicker than your 92 LS. Bear in mind here I'm talking about the second gen GS here (98-05)

The GS and LS are totally different cars, and when you drive them back to back you'll see that there really is no comparison between them. Not a bad thing for either car as they each fill a different niche. The GS is sportier, has more road and wind noise (it is not as aerodynamic as even the first generation LS) more feedback, stiffer suspension, throatier engine and exhaust note. Its a common complaint about the GS that they have uncomfortable front seats.

Though the LS400/430 and the GS400/430 share the same engines and transmissions, the GS430 is faster. This is partly due to the fact that the GS is lighter (but its actually not much lighter) but mostly due to the fact that the GS has a freer flowing exhaust.

Drive em both and see what you think!

I have a 96 ls400 and my mom drives a 98 gs400. The cars are not comparable. For instance, the ls400 is a nice car to drive around in and can get a little aggressive when it needs to. But the car's overall comfort is just amazing. The brakes seem gradual and so does the gas pedal. Now the gs400 in my opinoin feels tight going from an ls to a gs. But like previous posts have said they are physically smaller. The car drives more sporty. Its got balls, the 2 cars may have the same engine but man does it drive different. Also the handling is a lot better there is a lot less body roll in corners. Also when driving on the highway you can hear the road whereas in the ls you cannot. I don't know if the new ls have this option or not but the gs has the shift on the steering wheel accessory and that can be nice for going around corners for fun. Also when you barely touch the brakes in the gs it starts to stop whereas the ls you have to push it down a bit. In my opinoin I like the gs becuase it is sportier, but my mom would drive my car anyday over hers becuase she just likes the comfort and luxury of the ls. But I have not yet driven the new ls430 with euro tuned suspension so that could change some things as far as handling. Good luck. Also the newest model of the gs400 is 1998 anything before that was the gs300 with the inline six, still a great car but with less hp.

I probably can't add much to what's already been said, except I own both a '98 LS and a '98 GS300. My wife drives the GS and I drive the LS, seems like a contradiction but none the less, she loves her car and I love the LS. It is true the LS is quieter and more of a "floater" than the GS, but certainly you will be satisfied with either one. :D