Es Or Gs 350

jaki30

Wife currently driving a 2007 MKZ. We would like to move into the Lexus arena. This would be our first Lexus.

Undecided between the ES and GS 350 models.

Does anyone have experience with both? Any pros/cons on either model? Thanks.

I think saying I have ‘experience’ with both might be a stretch, but I have driven both. I have a 08 ES and have driven GS’s while my car was in for service. I remember consciously thinking I would never buy a GS because of: the extremely harsh ride, the high casing that runs through the interior due to it being rear wheel drive and the overall ‘cockpit’ feel of the driving position. I also like the smoothness associated with the ES only being front wheel drive as opposed to AWD (although AWD is a must in some northern states). A rear-wheel drive only GS would be out of the question.

I also don’t like the looks of the GS, but that is entirely subjective.

I would buy a G37(x) before I would buy a current GS; I might also consider a new Maxima before the GS. Sorry.

Two different applications in cars, in my opinion. The ES is more "luxury" in the sense of use, as were the GS is intended to be more "sporty" with luxury added. The ES is front wheel drive, the GS rear (or awd). From what I've read on here though, the newer GS models seem to have some annoying quirks about them, specific to rattles and such. The ES is a solid performer for many reasons. I've got an older GS, and I can tell you, I'm not in love with it. It feels very heavy and lumbersum. It doesn't have that needle/balance that you'd expect from a "sports sedan". Sure, it's faster than greased lightening. Sure, it's comfortable. But I have driven it's model year counterpart ES before, and felt that it was more nimble, easier to drive, and more car (due to being less car), if that makes sense?

But, the GS isn't bad either. I'm not saying it's a Chevy, by any means. The answer to your question really lies in what you want in a car. If you want a sports-type car, the GS is a good choice. But if you're looking for more of a "sedan" feel, the ES is the pick, in my opinion.

Well played nc211, well played.

It almost felt odd that this sentence "But I have driven it's model year counterpart ES before, and felt that it was more nimble, easier to drive, and more car (due to being less car), if that makes sense?" made perfect sense to me, immediately. ;)

They're pretty different cars. Are you looking to buy new?

I like the 06+ GS personally, I like the styling and I like the interior much better than the 07-09 ES although the 2010 is better. The GS is unique looking...the ES is not. The GS is much rarer to see on the road than the ES which is everywhere. Whether that appeals to you or not is up to you.

The GS rides well when you get rid of the runflats...in fact the ride is very close to that of the ES. The runflats make it ride hard.

Pros for the ES:

Its larger inside

Its smoother and quieter (the GS has a little different note to the exhaust thats "sportier")

Its cheaper

Its probably cheaper to insure

Its better on gas

Pros for the GS:

Its RWD, or rear baised AWD (huge plus for anybody who really knows a lot about driving or knows how to drive well. The only thing I hate about my ES is that its FWD)

Arguably better interior style and materials

Better stereos both base and ML

Sportier (if thats your thing)

When I bought my ES new back in '03 I closely looked at the GS then and ultimately I preferred the style of the ES and thats what really did it. Today it wouldn't be as quick a decision for me...

I am unsure of what we are going to buy. I have found a number of 07 and 08 cars (both models) used with under 20k miles.

We are somewhat surprised by the drop in prices for relatively new cars.

We drive a lot between Va and Ct where are families are. The 05 Dodge Magnum has 76k miles on it. The MKZ has 21k miles.

I would like a car that rides relatively soft. The MKZ is a bit too light. The wagon rides ok, but, it is not the luxury ride we are

looking for. I also have an 07 Corvette convertible that is a weekend toy. So, I can agree with the comment about run flats

being useless.

I do not care for the idea of buying AWD since we don't need it where we live. Seems to me to be an extra cost in fuel mileage

and maintenance.

However, we have delayed making a decision after reading some negative press about the electronic fuel control on the Toyota

vehicles. The Corvette has the 5 second push to OFF button. While I believe I could remember to hold the Ignition button on

the Lexus, this would be the wife's car and I am more than a bit concerned.

However, we have delayed making a decision after reading some negative press about the electronic fuel control on the Toyota

vehicles. The Corvette has the 5 second push to OFF button. While I believe I could remember to hold the Ignition button on

the Lexus, this would be the wife's car and I am more than a bit concerned.

All car manufacturers have "unintended acceleration" issues, not just Toyota.

I believe Toyota has a 3 second time.

If you're so worried,buy a car with a key ignition but it probably will still have a drive by wire setup.

Honestly? I would buy one of those cars without hesitation despite this "unintended acceleration" issue. There are 102 complaints to the NHTSA site since 2006 for the ES, Camry, Prius, IS, etc/ Do you know how many cars that is? They sell 80k ES's a year, so just there is 240k cars. They sell about 150k Camrys a year, and 100k Prius'es and probably 40k IS's. Add that all up and do the math...this is a VERY uncommon issue...and I'm almost certain its going to be linked to driver error.

In fact, you can use this news story as a bargaining chip and get a great deal...I'm tempted to...

3.8million cars recalled, 102 complaints....000003%....

If you're going to buy used anyways...I'd be tempted to buy an older LS...

• 3 weeks later...
Honestly? I would buy one of those cars without hesitation despite this "unintended acceleration" issue. There are 102 complaints to the NHTSA site since 2006 for the ES, Camry, Prius, IS, etc/ Do you know how many cars that is? They sell 80k ES's a year, so just there is 240k cars. They sell about 150k Camrys a year, and 100k Prius'es and probably 40k IS's. Add that all up and do the math...this is a VERY uncommon issue...and I'm almost certain its going to be linked to driver error.

In fact, you can use this news story as a bargaining chip and get a great deal...I'm tempted to...

We have decided against Lexus, at this time. I am simply not convinced that Toyota has a full grasp of the issues with a runaway car.

I see they are going to redesign the interface between the brake and gas pedal, but, there are simply too many other fine automobiles available.

Good luck to you all.

We have decided against Lexus, at this time. I am simply not convinced that Toyota has a full grasp of the issues with a runaway car.

I see they are going to redesign the interface between the brake and gas pedal, but, there are simply too many other fine automobiles available.

Good luck to you all.

Hmmm, good riddings!!!! I hope you will find one of those fine automobiles with less issues...